Who else makes AWS tractors?

/ Who else makes AWS tractors? #1  

ddodge68

Tractor
1998 JD 445 AWS
I thought that I had seen some information about other companies that make all wheel steer tractors. Are any of them worth checking out? I have also seen one articulating tractor. Any feedback on these? I need (want) a larger tractor, but I am struggling with the idea of giving up my AWS...but also struggling with paying $10k-$12k.

/ Who else makes AWS tractors? #2  
Kubota and Cub Cadet make AWS. Honda did when they made tractors. I've seen a few in very good condition. But, they too command big bucks. Simplicity used to make AWS, not sure if they still do. Articulated units, will top 10K. Look at Ventrac and Powertrac.

Have you considered the TYM T273. Good deals on them right now with loader and mower (I think) for about $10K. A lot more tractor for the money: 4WD, true cat1 hitch, QA loader. Or the Kioti CK20. Neither of these will have AWS, But, they'll won't slide on you.

/ Who else makes AWS tractors? #4  
John Deere use to offer AWS on their 425 and 455 models. Not sure if they offer it on new tractors. The 425 is 20hp and carburated. The 455 is a diesel. Hope this helps.

-Funkster-

/ Who else makes AWS tractors? #5  
Gittyup said:
Kubota and Cub Cadet make AWS. Honda did when they made tractors. I've seen a few in very good condition. But, they too command big bucks. Simplicity used to make AWS, not sure if they still do. Articulated units, will top 10K. Look at Ventrac and Powertrac.

Actually, articulated tractors need not top $10k.

My Ventrac 3000 was only slightly over that mark. But that included a bucket, a mower deck, and a snow blade. I moved about the contents of a full 18 wheeler in stone and gravel with it over the last year, and I plowed 1/2 mile of road over the winter. Its also far more tender to my lawn than was my old CC 2166, which shredded it up on every turn. And, while it is not AWS, it climbs my hills like a billy goat with AWD in two powered transaxles. A hole in your lawn will never leave a wheel spinning either. It has a quick attach ability, so I drop off some implement and put on another at least once a week in a matter of a minute or so. Some of that time is spent just getting to the desired implement in our garage.

If that is too much money, then consider Powertrac. The smallest unit there sells for $5500, and the implements are relatively cheap compared to all other manufacturers. You can probably get a full time 4WD, articulated tractor, with quick attach ability, plus a nice set of implements for only $7K-$8K. Or find a used PT. I've often seen bigger machines selling for roughly that amount of money.

No, neither of these tractors have AWS. Take a look at them anyway.

John

/ Who else makes AWS tractors? #6  
I too have a Steiner. It is awesome how those 4 wheels put the power down with no wheel spin. it was the first machine I've ever had that can push a load of snow in a bucket up my driveway without spinning the wheels even with a icy base. It's unreal because if you try to walk on the same driveway you are lucky to not fall due to the ice. It's uncanny also how when you turn the wheels it won't dig the grass surfaces either. I'm not sure what they are doing in there for the power drive system but it's a awesome machine. Pricey but awesome and well worth it IMO.

Steve

/ Who else makes AWS tractors? #7  
stevem5215 said:
I too have a Steiner. It is awesome how those 4 wheels put the power down with no wheel spin. it was the first machine I've ever had that can push a load of snow in a bucket up my driveway without spinning the wheels even with a icy base. It's unreal because if you try to walk on the same driveway you are lucky to not fall due to the ice. It's uncanny also how when you turn the wheels it won't dig the grass surfaces either. I'm not sure what they are doing in there for the power drive system but it's a awesome machine. Pricey but awesome and well worth it IMO.

Steve

I think that Steiner is like Ventrac. Given that both came from the same lineage, this makes sense. There should be two transaxles, probably belt driven from the engine. Powertrac uses a slightly different scheme, where they use four independent hydraulic wheel motors, one for each wheel.

The year round traction is a pleasure, and almost no lawn damage.

John