New here with a ?? on a charging system.

/ New here with a ?? on a charging system. #1  

GeeWally

Hello all....Nice forum. I have a quick question.

I recently picked up an old lawn tractor (no clue what it is) with an 11hp B&S engine. I am going to use it as a "tug and push".

Heres the problem....The wiring harness and key switch were gone so I wired it as follows:

For ignition I ran one wire from the solenoid to one side of a heavy duty push button start switch. The other wire goes to the battery. Starts and runs fine.

For "kill" I got a 2 pole switch and ran the motors kill wire to one side a wire to ground from the other. Shuts down fine.

My problem is the charging system. I have 2 wires coming out of the cowling from behind the starter. Both were cut and taped off. 1 is red, the other is black. I believe the red wire should go to the battery (+) or the "input" side of the solenoid to charge the battery. I believe the black is a ground.

I touched the red wire to the (+) terminal on the battery and it sparked. So I tried the black wire...same result.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

GW

/ New here with a ?? on a charging system.
Engine:
Model: 252707
Type: 0132-01
Code: 77121211

I also found the plate on the mower itself.
Model: 3-11008
Date of Man: 8-469x578009
Murray Ohio Mfg. Co.
Lawrenceburg Tn 38464
Made in the USA.

I popped the top on it today and using the IPB I found online all of the stator parts seem to be there. Some hilljack just cut the wires about 6" below where they exit the cowling.

FWIW...1 wire is AC (headlights?) and the other is DC. However, even the DC wire arcs when touched to the + terminal of the battery. (mower shut off).

Thanks for any help!

/ New here with a ?? on a charging system.
Problem solved by the nice folks at Garden Web...Thanks anyway.