Scotts S2554....?

/ Scotts S2554....? #11  
<font color=blue>we can't always get everything we want when we want it.<font color=blue>

<font color=black>But if we try sometime we just might find, we get what we need. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Happy hunting <font color=black>

/ Scotts S2554....? #12  
CentralVA
If you look a little further in the site you stated you'll see the instruction manual for the tiller. That tractor does NOT have a PTO. The tiller is powered by the drive pulley for the mower. If you can swing the extra cash I'd get a BX if I was you, or your other option would be to find a used JD3xx or 4xx that has the tiller attachment. You need to be careful on what you get because some of these machines(the JDs) have very expensive attachments like the newer JD4xx that use the hydraulic tiller(over $2,000.00!) if it doesn't have the optional rear PTO. So you have to add up what you'd spend on these Cat-0 implements vs Cat-1 on the BX. The price of a new JD455 with the Cat-0 3-point hitch, rear PTO is more than the BX2200!

/ Scotts S2554....? #13  
Stones

/ Scotts S2554....? #14  
CentralVA,

I just got back from our Home Depot, and they no longer have any 2554's there. In fact, it looks like all of the Scotts are a new design, at least cosmetically. There wasn't anything that looked to be all that impressive, but then maybe their stock is depleted of better machines. Anyway, apparently the 2554 does not have a PTO. Also, if I remember correctly, it was almost $200 to put a sleeve hitch on it, which is what you would need to be able to put any implements behind it (plow, blade, etc.). Then there's the problem of finding sleeve hitch equipment. Agri-fab and Brinley-Hardy are the only two I know of that still make the stuff, although there ought to be some JD-branded ones too (I have no idea if they manufacture them). You could also look at Sears, which I think are re-branded Agri-Fab's.

If Home Depot is turning over a new line of Scotts, then maybe you could do some bargaining on the 2554? It sounds like you may eventually want to move up to something in the small CUT market, but as an interim, perhaps a reduced-cost one might be economically feasible? Have you considered going with something used? I hear that there are some JD models in the 5-10 year old range that are reasonably priced. The advantage is, they've already depreciated about as much as they will, and if you take reasonably good care of it, you ought to be able to re-sell it in a few years for nearly what you paid for it. That way, if you decide you need to step up later, you won't be out a bunch of money. I'm sure there's some JD owners around here that could advise you better on specifics. Just some thoughts.

Kevin

/ Scotts S2554....? #15  
CentralVA,

One other thing I forgot. If the tiller you were looking at ran off a belt to the mower, then I would be very leary of spending much money on it. It would only work with this, or very similar, tractor. I don't know what it costs, but MTD makes a tow-behind, self-powered tiller that could at least be used with other machines. I think they sell for around $1000, and have an 8 or 10 hp B&S engine. I know a dealer down the road from me had 2 of them, one MTD-branded, the other Cub Cadet-branded (and yellow:< for about $800 each, but they weren't exactly new. They looked like real solid machines. I almost bought one to pull behind my ATV.

Kevin

/ Scotts S2554....? #16  
forget the zero turn radius mower. the engines are smaller, and dont cut as wide, yes they go faster, and let you get closer to the house (after you master the mower) until then you run over a lot of shrubs, and hit the hose a few times. the 2554, is a great mower, i've had mine for over 10 years and its still using it. i cut a 6 acre pasture, and also use it as a light bush hog to cut another 3 acres. you wont be disappointed....

/ Scotts S2554....? #17  
13 years ago the OP might have bought a Scotts lawn mower. Mower is probably dead by now........

Got a friend who just sold his.

/ Scotts S2554....? #18  
forget the zero turn radius mower. the engines are smaller, and dont cut as wide, yes they go faster, and let you get closer to the house (after you master the mower) until then you run over a lot of shrubs, and hit the hose a few times. the 2554, is a great mower, i've had mine for over 10 years and its still using it. i cut a 6 acre pasture, and also use it as a light bush hog to cut another 3 acres. you wont be disappointed....

13 year old thread -- better late than never I guess :confused: