Low end lawn tractors

/ Low end lawn tractors #11  
If you were to buy all 3 lawn tractors and used them the same, you are certain to prefer the John Deere over the others. It's a better mower and a better built mower (I think it's a better mower than the Club Cadet also). We sometimes seem to get caught up with the assumption that 1 engine brand is automatically better than another. I don't know how many times I've heard people suggest "never buy a Briggs, always look for kohler etc". Not true at all. The Briggs engine in the John Deere 100 series will work as well and last as long as the others. This wasn't always the case but with the cylinder liners and pressure oil system of the heavy duty Briggs engines it will probably be the last thing to give problems.

/ Low end lawn tractors #12  
Our first riding mower, we bought at K-Mart and sold it 11 years later looking like a year old one.
Second mower is a TroyBilt Bronco we bought at Lowes in 2006 and it also will give us great service. I do all my own maintenance and it's always stored inside.
Care is the key

:)

/ Low end lawn tractors
sunspot said:
Don't buy the Husqvarna. I bought one from Lowes. The engine is okay and that's the best I can say about it.
As the folks on this board say, support your local dealer. I will the next time I buy.

BTW, are you any closer to buying a tractor yet?

Nope Sunspot, not any closer. Other house in Georgia still up for sale. Thought I could get a ZTR, but fenced in more land for horses. That was quite a hilarious story in itself. If you don't buy the correct fence charger, those MARES will run straight through the fence! Husband kept up the grass by cutting sections everyday with a PUSH lawnmower. Now that it rains everyday, he is pooped. Unitl the house is sold too afraid to go into any further debt. I have tried to convince him to go with the dealer over Lowes. I have showed him the posts. Sigh, he is hard headed. Probably will be next week that we get "something" to mow with! If I go to the dealer ahead and get specifics, then maybe he will come around. OMG if I could just get a utility cart to pull behind the lawn tractor I would become motorized for horse chores. I girl can dream........

/ Low end lawn tractors #14  
cluelessinalabama said:
if I could just get a utility cart to pull behind the lawn tractor I would become motorized for horse chores. I girl can dream........
The carts are the easy part. I think I paid $100 for my little one. Later, I bought a ultlity trailer. I modified the lawnmower hitch so I could hitch up either cart or trailer.
Best of luck and I hope you sell the GA house soon. I've BTDT.

/ Low end lawn tractors #15  
I have an MTD that I bought about 20 yrs ago. I cut about 2 acres around the house. Other than normal wear parts belts, tires , Blades, etc.,It still runs & cuts great. I don't know it news ones will last this long

/ Low end lawn tractors #16  
I don't generally make blanket statements, as there are ALWAYS exceptions, but buy from a dealer. Generally, dealers are swamped with L & G repairs and they will give their own customers first dibs over a Box Store customer. Alternatively, you do your ownmaint and then yu get to buy whatever you want. sears are good about supplying parts.

/ Low end lawn tractors #17  
Im from north AL. and strongly recommend that you get in touch with Jamie Centers at Bonds Appliance Lawn & Garden in Guntersville. 256-582-8416. He has new and used and he will take care of you. Bonds has been in business forever and a day and Jamie has been there 18 years. Tell him Jansen sent you if its not too late.If he has anything it would be worth the drive.

/ Low end lawn tractors #18  
cluelessinalabama said:
Nope Sunspot, not any closer. Other house in Georgia still up for sale. Thought I could get a ZTR, but fenced in more land for horses. That was quite a hilarious story in itself. If you don't buy the correct fence charger, those MARES will run straight through the fence! Husband kept up the grass by cutting sections everyday with a PUSH lawnmower. Now that it rains everyday, he is pooped. Unitl the house is sold too afraid to go into any further debt. I have tried to convince him to go with the dealer over Lowes. I have showed him the posts. Sigh, he is hard headed. Probably will be next week that we get "something" to mow with! If I go to the dealer ahead and get specifics, then maybe he will come around. OMG if I could just get a utility cart to pull behind the lawn tractor I would become motorized for horse chores. I girl can dream........

Did you know that John Deere dealers can offer you no interest/no payments for 12 months on that mower? I just bought a LA145 a few couple of months ago and drove away from the dealer realizing I had not paid a dime yet and they had treated me as nice as could be asked. If you buy the mower at Lowes, you may get a similar deal or better on payments, but you will have to take it to the JD dealer for any warranty service. Why not buy from the dealer and ensure yourself first-rate service?

Also, go on JD's website and you will find that you can order any part you will ever need for that mower. They have a complete illustrated parts diagram and make it very easy.

Of all the $2000 and under mowers I looked at, I found JD to be the best in my opinion. I love their servicabilty and even that plastic hood. When I reached down on the deck and found grease zerk fittings on the deck spindles, I just smiled.

One more thing...A JD mechanic said that Lowes installs their own decks and they often do not follow the correct procedures. If you buy from a JD dealer, your mower is set up by that dealer. Try to convince your husband that he will get the same mower at Lowes, but he will be happier with the mower he gets from a JD dealer. I know that's true in my case.

/ Low end lawn tractors #19  
Jinman makes a great point about the deck install. Although installing a deck isn't rocket science, a dealer will likely do a better job of installing and properly leveling the deck. It takes a little extra time to make sure the tires are inflated correctly and then setting up the blade height so your deck is level and cuts uniformly. A dealer is much more likely to do this properly.

/ Low end lawn tractors #20  
Last Spring I bought a Troy-Bilt (Pony) rider from Lowes for use on our 1 acre lot. It's mowed quite a bit and so far, so good.

I have a few rocks and am constantly hitting little hidden things in the weeds that has resulted in it now having its fourth set of blades (getting ready to be fifth pretty soon) in a year and a half.

I grease it, always wash it when I'm done, store it inside........for $1000 it's been a darn good and cheap way to keep things mowed. I don't know how a big dollar JD or zero-turn would have done any better job for me at this point and if it keeps this up for the next 5 years than it's definitely the better option all the way around.