Mulching Kit for SCAG ZTR

/ Mulching Kit for SCAG ZTR #1  

drivadesl

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-70A, Kubota U-35 Mini-Ex,SCAG Wild Cat, Cub Cadet 109
I've got a Scag Wildcat, 25HP Kawi with 52" deck. Its been a great machine this is my 4th season with it. I don't collect the clippings, just let them blow out and they break down in a few days into dust. They do affect the look of the lawn though after cutting as you can see some of the clippings laying on the cut lawn. I'm wondering whether using a mulch kit would make for a better looking cut. I'm wondering if having the mulch kit slows down the cutting ability, in other words will it take longer to cut the lawn. My grass isn't that thick, its mainly in the spring I get the winrows of clippings that build up. The Kit costs $310 for blades, baffles and a discharge cover, seems pretty steep. If anyone can comment to wether this is worth it or otherwise, I appreciate it.

/ Mulching Kit for SCAG ZTR #2  
With a mulching kit or mulching mower you do have to mow more often. This time of the year I have to mow twice a week to not windrow! When people ask about grass catchers and mulchers they often have to slow down or mow more often anyway to get them to work.

Notice I said grass catcher! When a collection system doesn't have a power unit it is just a grass catcher, if you are having troouble with getting the grass distributed from the chute so it doesn't show, what will it take to move it up a two or three foot tube? You have to slow down or mow more often!

/ Mulching Kit for SCAG ZTR
Thanks Art. I work at a 500 acre facility similar to a college campus, with lawns everywhere. It is well maintained, and the grounds maintenance company is mowing pretty much every day in the summer. They use 60" Exmark ZTR's with mulching decks. These guys don't slow down for anything but obstacles and people. The lawns look great, no clippings to be seen any where. Matter of fact, I don't run my mower at home as fast as these guys, as I have time and only 2 acres. I would hope my SCAG can do what the Exmarks can do in terms of mulch cutting. I'm not to concerned if I have to slow down with the mulch kit, but I guess I have to decide whether the finished cut looks better than with the standard blades, and if so is it worth $300+. What do you think Art, or anyone else can add to this. Thanks.

/ Mulching Kit for SCAG ZTR #4  
just ordered a exmark lazer z 60" and didn't order mulching kit, should i have? doe's this really help with leaves? I will not have clean up issues till maple leaves are falling. can the mulch blades make small work of leaves??