Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #11  
I've rented a Billy Goat several times, and it beat the heck out of me. Went on to purchase a DR off EBay, and it is much better machine.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #12  
Hi! James Tyree II of Oregon Field and Brush Mowing here. I have mowed with tractors large and small and Gravely, DR All Terrain Mowers AND the Original DR Field and Brush Mowers and have used th Billy Goat Outback. The Gravely was heavy and awkward, the Outback loses traction and the blade tends to stall out as well as not cutting very nicely. The original DR Field and Brush Mower circa 1997 is great but too slow for commercial use and won't handle cutting thick grass much over three feet tall. The DR All Terrain Mower (second generation circa 2001) is the greatest piece of machinery. It does it all and keeps on cutting. The handles tend to break down by the bend with a lot of use, but not much else goes wrong with it. In 1st gear there wouldn't be any problem cutting 1.5" to 2" sapplings. I have the 10.5 hp model. your experience might improve with the 14 or 15 hp. I would stay away from the 12.5 Tecumseh as those engines have given me nothing but trouble. I hope this helps.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #13  
I must confess to being a "brand new" troop using this site but I'm committed to providing real life experiences using my new JD 2305 with mower deck and front end loader as well as DR Pro Max 30" Brush Cutter and assorted other tools purchased to re-gain control of our newly asquired 5 acres of fields surrounding our new home here in Rhinebeck, NY.

When we viewed this property, still living in Europe, we could see that much of the terrain had been mowed. When I finally took possession all the surrounding fields were "meadow" with grass and weeds up to 5 feet high. The new JD utility tractor proved to be great but was overheating with all the debree clogging the front end air intake being blown around/sucked in by the mower deck. My new Gravely push/walk behind weed-wacker was also OK but was frequently badly affecetd by three foot long fine grasses getting twisted around the spinning cutting/ drive shaft. All else having failed I took out the (also new) steel bladed hand held weed-wacker/brush cutter. It managed to cut everything easily but leaving all the cut grass/weeds best suited churned into cow feed versus being hauled to my large shed sized grass pile. Did I mention my 65 year old in great shape body has begun to wear down. 5 hours a day for 5 days and still only 25% done. So I bought the DR. When I manage to gain some experience using it I'll be able to offer a comment. I suspect this beast will be well suited for my use......primarily high grass/weeds versus saplings. Some of both but mainly previously mowed field. We'll see.

I am delighted having found this site and intend to check it frequently!!

Adam in Rhinebeck

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #14  
I also rented a Billy Goat last year, because it was the only brush mower that I could find near Spencer, TN for rental. It was adequate for moderate brush but totally inadequate for saplings of any significant size. The arrangement of the controls was also poor, requiring you to lean over every time you need to shift the transmission. Manual starting for cutting saplings is a major pain, since I found I ended up stalling relatively often as I tried to push the saplings over. The Billy Goat had a number of wires that were easily pulled off as I went through heavy growth. All in all not really a success.

So after much reading and bank account soul searching, I bought the new DR 18HP brush mower. Big difference. It still is a heck of a workout, especially in rough terrain or cutting saplings but much easier to use and more effective than the Billy Goat. I found that I could in fact cut saplings up to about 3" as advertised, but for anything that won't bend over almose immediately it's just easier to go around and cut with a chainsaw. But for sizes up to 1 1/2" to 2" (other than hard woods) it really did the job.

The controls are well set up and easy to use, although my wife complained that for her smaller hand the operator presence lever & clutch lever made her hand sore after a while. Electric start is truly a wonderful thing. The 18HP Kawasaki engine seems like a real workhorse.

I have about 4 acres covered heavily with saplings, so I anticipate a very long job. So far, I'm pretty happy with the unit.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #15  
I have a ten year old DR. It will handle your saplings fine. The locking differential prevents the wheel spin issue and the thing is a real beast when it comes to traction. I've used it on the farm and for maintaining miles of state forest bridle trails. It will wear you out when you are doing miles of rough, uneven terrain with it. It's easy to use on flatter, even terrain.

I don't think I've ever had the rear end get caught up on stubs.

When I bought it, I also bought the spare "heavy duty" blade. It's still in the package and I've never even sharpened the original blade.

Ken

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #16  
Hello Folks,

I rented a Billy Goat Brush Cutter last year for the weekend and was able to clear our back meadow (approx. 3.5 acres of heavy grass/weeds of 5 to 6 feet high and some 1" to 1.5" saplings, but fairly level) with no problems. I found the Billy Goat to be very effective. It took me about 16 hours in total to clear the back meadow. I had the Billy Goat in self-propel mode using the low gears (I think it was either the first or second gear) and it only got stuck a couple of times due to some of the grass getting stuck around the blade.

Regards, al.4781

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #17  
There's a new brush mower on the market, with great cutting power, durability and its not strenuous for the operator. It's the Orec SH72! Orec is a leading Japanese manufacturer that's just come to the US and they build great machines.

Here's a link to the video:

YouTube - BushMowerSH72Demo.wmv

please take a look, I think y'all will be impressed

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower
There's a new brush mower on the market, with great cutting power, durability and its not strenuous for the operator. It's the Orec SH72! Orec is a leading Japanese manufacturer that's just come to the US and they build great machines.

Here's a link to the video:

YouTube - BushMowerSH72Demo.wmv

please take a look, I think y'all will be impressed

Interesting products. What prices? The Flail could use a little more power in my opinion.

Your RM98 looks like a Canycom Machine?

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #19  
I own a 04 model 17 h.p. DR Trimmer.This machine is awesome!! It has the weight and power to be able to mow large overgrown areas of saplings,vegitation etc.Any machine of this catagory will work the operator.no way to get around this fact.How can you beat DRs claim to ship you a new machine to try out for 6mos free?Parts and tech help are just a phone call or mouse click away.Engineered and made in America.This has been a valuable tool to help in the maintenance of my property and I highly reccomend it.:thumbsup: Scotty

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #20  
I've seen the products at some rental shops here in Washington, so I don't know the retail pricing. Maybe take a look around at some rental shops in your area to see if they are carrying these machines.