Has anyone used this pecan picker?

/ Has anyone used this pecan picker? #1  

jdsafeman

Tractor
M9540 Grand Cab
I have several mature native pecan trees on my property. Does anyone have any experience with this product or do you have any other recommendations?

pecan picker, harvester

/ Has anyone used this pecan picker? #2  
I have not used that particular pecan picker, but I've used a similarly designed smaller version (about half that size) that you propelled by hand and that worked the same way. They'll work just fine on a nice smooth clean flat surface (who has that under their pecan trees?), but otherwise are more trouble than they're worth. I was very glad I didn't spend any money on one; a neighbor had bought it, found it to be more trouble than it was worth, so I tried it awhile and agreed.

If you have hard, solid ground under your trees, either bare dirt or grass scalped as close as possible, then it'll work, but it'll also pick up as much trash, twigs, leaves, sticks, etc. as pecans.

/ Has anyone used this pecan picker?
Thanks for your reply. I have done several searches and can not find much information on this machine. Being the sceptic that I am, it looked too good to be true. Maybe it works well for someone's groomed lawn.
I have been looking at the motorized professional equipment. So many choices and big bucks.

/ Has anyone used this pecan picker? #4  
I'm sure you've seen the little pickers such as this one. There are quite a few of them with slightly different designs, and while I found them to be better than that big contraption, I found I was faster just on my hands and knees picking them up.

And yep, the motorized equipment does get into some money. There are lots of pecan trees in Navarro County. One commercial orchard about 5 miles from us had 800 trees, so the guy had built his own tree shaker, then had a machine that was much like a street sweeper to pick up the pecans and put them in big wagons to take to the shed where they were run down conveyor belts with laborers to remove the debris. It was quite an operation to watch.