Kohler Courage,

/ Kohler Courage, #1  

Volfandt

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota BX23, 1966 WheelHorse 856
So, how are the Kohler Courage engines holding up?
Are the singles better/worse than the V-twins?

Early on when they were 1st released, I recall they were touted to be easier to service due to easy to get at access panels and to be more quiet due to the plastic (can't think of the official term) timing gears.

IMHO the old K and M model nodel Kohlers were some of the best small air cooled engines made. I don't hold the CV models in that same opinion but I do like the CH models better.
Is the Courage another "home run" for Kohler?

/ Kohler Courage, #2  
From what I've read (have no personal experience as all my stuff has old Kohler "K"s in 'em) The Kohler Courage was designed as a 500 hour engine, for entry level equipment. i don't know if they are lasting longer than that or not.

/ Kohler Courage, #3  
The singles are still nothing more than a disposable engine...The twins are somewhat better.

The plastic dipsticks still break off in the block, the valve covers still drip, the top plates vibrate loose and break off the bolts...mufflers falling off..

Cant stand em myself.

The CV and CH commands are stout and are solid 1500+ hour engines.

The K and M series...You really got to try to break one..

/ Kohler Courage, #4  
They have had a bunch through the shop at the ferm supply store with problems on the plastic gear parts breaking and other stupid things, plus horrible delays for parts from MTD, glad I went Kubota for lawn mower was looking at the Cub Cadet Garden tractor.

David Kb7uns

/ Kohler Courage, #5  
David_Kb7uns said:
They have had a bunch through the shop at the ferm supply store with problems on the plastic gear parts breaking and other stupid things, plus horrible delays for parts from MTD, glad I went Kubota for lawn mower was looking at the Cub Cadet Garden tractor.

David Kb7uns

hmm, we never do any engine parts through MTD, or any manufacturer. We work directly with Kohler for engine parts...next day usually.

/ Kohler Courage, #6  
These were warranty jobs they were doing for the local Home Depot, they had 6 mowers for three months waiting for parts.

David Kb7uns