might need a new GT

/ might need a new GT #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
Well parked my 15 yr. old sears gt the other afternoon was fine . went to start it today and no dice, turns over fine, backfierd and would not start, put in a few new plugs and same thing. this thing has been golden for 15 years but now wondering if just better to replace it. i am getting a bit to old to mess with this stuff any more. don't think i want to mess with sears so thiking of a cub cadet or a huskavarna, have a deale with in 5 miles for each something with 2 cy and 3 blades and at leat 20" rear tires whaich make do you guys think would be best? or should i have it picked up and looked at?

/ might need a new GT #2  
frank_f15 said:
Well parked my 15 yr. old sears gt the other afternoon was fine . went to start it today and no dice, turns over fine, backfierd and would not start, put in a few new plugs and same thing. this thing has been golden for 15 years but now wondering if just better to replace it. i am getting a bit to old to mess with this stuff any more. don't think i want to mess with sears so thiking of a cub cadet or a huskavarna, have a deale with in 5 miles for each something with 2 cy and 3 blades and at leat 20" rear tires whaich make do you guys think would be best? or should i have it picked up and looked at?
I like my CC gt2554 but don't need it anymore.huskavarna
is the maker of sears tractors .

/ might need a new GT #3  
The old Sears might just need a new ignition coil or some other minor repair, so you might want to have it looked at before dropping money on something new- at least have the problem diagnosed.

Yes, the parent company of Husqvarna is also the same company that makes all of the riders for Sears. But Husky does have a high end line that is only sold at Husky dealers. This is much in the same way that Cub Cadet is the higher end line of tractors that are built by parent company MTD.

In the under $2k range which is your basic lawn tractors, IMHO you can just pick and choose what color you want because from anyone who makes them in that price range they are all spec'ed nearly identically and all function in the same way. (Box section construction, economy line vertical shaft engine from Briggs or Kohler, all belt drive, and sealed aluminum hydrostatic transaxles) The only difference is that buying one from a reputable (key word) dealer will often save you a lot of headaches over buying one from a box store or department store should problems arise. But the truth is one isn't going to last any longer than the other because it's painted in impressive colors.

It's not until you get to the tractors priced $2k and up do you start to see any real comparable differences with the machines.

-Fordlords-

/ might need a new GT #4  
Good write up Ford.
Skimple , to the point and easy to understand.
Fordlords said:
The old Sears might just need a new ignition coil or some other minor repair, so you might want to have it looked at before dropping money on something new- at least have the problem diagnosed.

Yes, the parent company of Husqvarna is also the same company that makes all of the riders for Sears. But Husky does have a high end line that is only sold at Husky dealers. This is much in the same way that Cub Cadet is the higher end line of tractors that are built by parent company MTD.

In the under $2k range which is your basic lawn tractors, IMHO you can just pick and choose what color you want because from anyone who makes them in that price range they are all spec'ed nearly identically and all function in the same way. (Box section construction, economy line vertical shaft engine from Briggs or Kohler, all belt drive, and sealed aluminum hydrostatic transaxles) The only difference is that buying one from a reputable (key word) dealer will often save you a lot of headaches over buying one from a box store or department store should problems arise. But the truth is one isn't going to last any longer than the other because it's painted in impressive colors.

It's not until you get to the tractors priced $2k and up do you start to see any real comparable differences with the machines.

-Fordlords-

/ might need a new GT
FORD i will have it looked but i will have to pay for pick but what the heck, don't really have much choice even if it cost a few $$$$ if i decide to buy a new one will be easier to sell one that is running.

/ might need a new GT #6  
maybe window shop a bit first and have the dealer you like pick up the old one, that way maybe he'll give you a little something for it on trade if you decide to buy a new one..

/ might need a new GT #7  
It'll be easier and more profitable to seel the old one if it's running, and while it's running it will continue to cut your lawn, so getting a new one won't be an emergency purchase. It'll buy you time to shop carefully without the lawn getting 2 feet high.

/ might need a new GT
bontai_Joe said:
It'll be easier and more profitable to seel the old one if it's running, and while it's running it will continue to cut your lawn, so getting a new one won't be an emergency purchase. It'll buy you time to shop carefully without the lawn getting 2 feet high.

thats what i am doing the only thing that ticks me off is the negative i get when i tell tem it is not their name band (dealer) one guy would not touch it, 2nd guy said he don't woork on sears lawmowers , i told him you won;t be working on the lawnmower you will working on the Brigs engine, day 1 (monday) told me to call 1st thing tomorrow day2 (tuesday) so i did then he said they will pick it up on day 3 (wednesday) just seems to me that if you don't buy the machine from them , tough luck. Funny thing is when i bout this Gt neither dealer was selling lawn equipt. 15 years ago.:(

/ might need a new GT #9  
I used to live south of Buffalo before I moved to Erie. It still amazes me how you literally had to pull teeth to get shops around Buffalo to get off their duff and do some work. I've noticed that most places around Erie the service people are at least a little more motivated. Seems if you didn't cow-tau and kneel or buy a $50k piece of equipment from them around Buffalo they just wouldn't do a thing for you.

-Fordlords-