Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed.

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I've been mowing my yard, fence line and other finish areas on my land with an old Craftsman ridealong mower that's seen it's last day. The rear axle broke and Sears no longer supplies the parts for it. With the other issues that I have with it and Craftman in general, I don't want to invest any more time or money into fixing it. I'm seriously thinking about turning it into a go cart for the kids, but that's another project that I don't have the time for. :D

With my future plans of developing my land into an RV Park and the need for a good mower that will run a dozen hours a week or more, I think I need a commercial type zero turn mower. I even think that in time, I'll need two of them, but that's getting ahead of myself. I also currently have a 7 foot finish mower that I use behind my 35hp Centruy tractor that works great. I use that for most of my mowing, but it's too big and bulky for allot of areas.

Kubota is close to me and I think they make a great product. I might go that rought, but have been reading about issues with their transmissions. It was a problem that was supposed to have been fixed this year, but has started to appear again.

Dargo has posted allot of great stuff on his Grasshopper mowers and his experience with the other brands, which has me seriosly considering that brand as my top choice. There is a dealer pretty close to me too.

Of the other brands, I'm not sure if one is better then the other. Of the engine choices, Kubota diesel seems like the best one out there and my first choice. The upfront price is pretty harsh, but in the long run, probably worthwhile. Of the gas engines, it seems that Kawasaki seems to be the top rated and desired in professional mowers. Is this accurate?

My question is two fold. Who do you recomend and why?

The second question is when is the best time to buy? Since mowing is a seasonal thing and I would think spring is the big buying time of the year, there must be a slow time of the year. Do dealers and manufacturers offer any special incentives during the slow time of the year? Do they offer special deals during the peak time of the year to increase sales when people are buying? I don't have to have something right now, but mowing with a push mower isn't something that I'm going to continue into next years mowing season. I can get through the rest of this year if I have to for a good deal if it turns out that mid winter or something like that is a time when they are getting rid of last years mowers for next years, or something like that.

I really don't have a price range, but like everything, don't want to through away money or be wasteful.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed.
After a day of looking around and talking to about half the dealers in the area, I'm zeroing in on what I think should be a great mower. Scag seems to have allot more features then the others for a competitive price.

Kubota is still top of the list, but it's a grand more for the same hp and cut size, but Kubota is air cooled while the Scag is a water cooled Kawasaki.

Everything on the Scag is metal, and thicker, heavier and in my opinion, just better thought out then all the others. What they consider standard equipment is extra on the other brands.

Here's the model that has impressed me the most. It's $8,600.

SCAG POWER EQUIPMENT - Wildcat Zero Turn Rider

Eddie

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #3  
that Scag is a nice mower, and the motor is a champ. Have you looked at Exmark's? as far as the best time, the fall will bring clearance pricing, but you may not get the best rate for financing if you have to go that route.

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #4  
I bought my Toro Z Master (Same as Exmark Laser Z), 4 years ago in mid to late Sept. Dealer sold it to me for $100 over his cost for $5100. Commercial grade with 27hp Kaw motor. Zero repairs other than sharpening blade. Mine is a 52" cut and could easily handle a 60" cut. Much more motor than need for 52" cut. Hit a piece of metal once that wedged in between deck and blade. Killed the motor at WOT. Thought I really did some damage. Pulled out the metal, straightened out the blade and good to go. In my area, I see more Toros/Exmark than any other brand. However, the factory is about 45 miles away.

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #5  
We run Exmarks, Scags are good, Hustlers are good so are several others.

Too me, a lot depends on your dealer, what he has and what he keeps in stock. It is a nice feeling to cruise into your dealer and he hands you the part that you need from behind the counter, yeah, I pay an extra 25% at that moment then what I could buy it for online, but if it keeps me mowing that day............

I would suggest 60", Carb, Air Cooled for my money.

I would look at the Exmark "classic" or traditional or something Lazer Z. Does not have all the "features" but do you really need them. (assuming you have an Exmark Dealer around)

As too time of year, somewhat it matters, but I have usually had to buy when I needed, not when I wanted. Just got to talk with the sales folks and see if you can tell when they are hungriest.

If I was doing an RV park I would seriously look at the Hustler with Rear discharge.

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #6  
I have a kubota diesel ZTR 2007 ZD 326 pro 60 inch deck that has been flawless,from what I researched before I bought my ZTR they had tranny problems with earlier kubota models.IMHO this model 326 is a **** of a machine.I mow around 3-5 acres a week between my two properties.I paid $10,700 for my ZTR.coobie

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #7  
No regrets with my 60" Lazer Z Exmark purchase. I have two months under my belt with this awesome zero turn, and it's all that! The 27 Kawasaki is a great power plant, I chose my product and dealer because of it. I mow about 9 acre a week, I have a 6' finish mower for the tractors but I didn't like the time it was taking every cut. I have found with the zero turn mower I am saving alot of time and fuel, while getting a much better cut.

TYM300HST Kubota 7610HST Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Sperry

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #8  
Don't know how rough your terrain is, but I love my ferris 2000is.

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #9  
I have had a Scag Widcat for 2 years now. It has given me zero problems. The Kawasaki engine has a lot of power and though not a fuel miser it can cut a lot of grass in a hurry. Quality of cut is excellent. I have no regrets on this purchase. Grasshopper and Gravely were my other mowers of consideration but I liked the dealer and the solid construction of the Scag.

Dan

/ Buying advice and the best time of the year to buy needed. #10  
All of those brands you mention are quality brands. I am happy with my Hustler Super Z but the Kubota diesel is something worth considering due to increased torque and better fuel economy.

I think it boils down to dealer support and convenience.