Older Murray lawn tractor

/ Older Murray lawn tractor #1  

shortlid

Silver Member
OK, neighbors just retired there 1999 Murry lawn tractor. I have helped them with it so they want to give it to me! I have a VERY steep lawn and use a walk behind now for my acre of land, how can I make the tractor more stable on the grades?:confused:

/ Older Murray lawn tractor
If I can remember corectly this mower has a twin blade deck, and a single cyl. vertical shaft splash lube l-head B&S engine. Has a 8 speed shift on the fly transmision. The tires even in the rear seem small and the tractor seems low to the ground which is good.

/ Older Murray lawn tractor #3  
I had a older Murry mower and put chains on it. It made it safer on the hills for me.

I had a older Murry mower and put chains on it. It made it safer on the hills for me.

Go to know do they make chains for the small 18" rear tires?:confused: Would weight on the front help as well.:confused:

I have seen the guys that race these things lengthen the axle and make the track wider. How hard is that to do with it?

/ Older Murray lawn tractor #6  
I have an '02 Murray with HST. I use it on all the steep hills I have, 20 degrees plus (one is over 25, but tilt meter doesn't go past 25) - I mow across - sit on the fender out rigger style. I go slow and been doing it for 6 years. Never have come close to rolling even though it feels like it sometimes

Vertical on the hills has caused many pucker moments.

Now, without HST, I might be more nervous

/ Older Murray lawn tractor #9  
The smaller stance tires are actually going to help you on the grades. I would use a good new set of Carlisle turf tires on both front and rear, and add rear wheel weights and/or chains, and of course never take it out if the grass is wet. However if is is one of the older splash lubed engines that did not have a pressurized oil system, it isn't going to last very long running it on steep slopes. But the lower the center of gravity, the more stable the tractor will be.

-Fordlords-

Thanks for the info. Guess if I do use it on the onclines I should not shift on a slope. Will see what kind of shape the tires are in.;)