Silver Member

Default Older Murray lawn tractor

OK, neighbors just retired there 1999 Murry lawn tractor. I have helped them with it so they want to give it to me! I have a VERY steep lawn and use a walk behind now for my acre of land, how can I make the tractor more stable on the grades?

Silver Member

Default Re: Older Murray lawn tractor

If I can remember corectly this mower has a twin blade deck, and a single cyl. vertical shaft splash lube l-head B&S engine. Has a 8 speed shift on the fly transmision. The tires even in the rear seem small and the tractor seems low to the ground which is good.

Tractor
    TYM T300 HST, Kubota B7610HST, XMark Lazer Z 60"

I had a older Murry mower and put chains on it. It made it safer on the hills for me.
    TYM 300HST KUBOTA 7610HST Exmark Lazer Z
    Just a worker bee helping the colony survive

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    I had a older Murry mower and put chains on it. It made it safer on the hills for me.

Go to know do they make chains for the small 18" rear tires? Would weight on the front help as well.

Silver Member

I have seen the guys that race these things lengthen the axle and make the track wider. How hard is that to do with it?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

I have an '02 Murray with HST. I use it on all the steep hills I have, 20 degrees plus (one is over 25, but tilt meter doesn't go past 25) - I mow across - sit on the fender out rigger style. I go slow and been doing it for 6 years. Never have come close to rolling even though it feels like it sometimes

Vertical on the hills has caused many pucker moments.

Now, without HST, I might be more nervous
    '07 Kubota BX24, 54" MMM, Woods RB60, Cosmo XB spreader, Wallenstein Thumb, WR Long TB, 8' chain harrow

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! --Homer Simpson

Silver Member

What is HST???

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by shortlid View Post
    What is HST???
    Sorry - hydrostatic transmission - no shifting
    '07 Kubota BX24, 54" MMM, Woods RB60, Cosmo XB spreader, Wallenstein Thumb, WR Long TB, 8' chain harrow

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! --Homer Simpson

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

The smaller stance tires are actually going to help you on the grades. I would use a good new set of Carlisle turf tires on both front and rear, and add rear wheel weights and/or chains, and of course never take it out if the grass is wet. However if is is one of the older splash lubed engines that did not have a pressurized oil system, it isn't going to last very long running it on steep slopes. But the lower the center of gravity, the more stable the tractor will be.

-Fordlords-
    1980 Cub Cadet 682 with 18 HP Honda GX V-Twin engine
    2008 Ariens 624 Snowblower
    2007 Craftsman by MTD 4 Cycle Weedwacker

Check out my TBN photo gallery for B4 and after pix of my CC 682 Restoration! http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...cat/500/page/1

Silver Member

Thanks for the info. Guess if I do use it on the onclines I should not shift on a slope. Will see what kind of shape the tires are in.