/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment #1  

jinjimbob

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320
F0945-250.jpg
F0893-250.jpg
F0902-250.jpg

I have the 17 HP brush mower, its great, and was looking at this wood chipper add on. It seems easier to move around than a tractor model. $1000 right now.

The tractor 3pt version is around $1900, I would use it with a 23 HP Kubota tractor.
CPR0490-250.jpg

Anyone experience with either of these two models?

/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment #2  
I have one of the tow behind models, it works great. I know they just came out with the one that goes on the brush mower. I guess it depends on what you want to chip. I think that on this one the capacity is 3.5 inches. If what you are going to chip is under that it may work. But if i were to get one of those two i would get the 3pt model. Seems as though there would be a bit more torque, power off the 23hp diesel. I think that you get the 6 month trial with both of them, so you wont be stuck with it if it is not what you expected. They are a great company to deal with, their good people.

/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment
Ordered the brush mower attachment, should get it within a few weeks. Because of the mowers powered wheels, I can take it places that I can't get to with my tractor, along the trails.

/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment #4  
cant wait to hear about it

/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment #5  
I just bought a used 3PH model for $1,000. Chips up to 4.5". Looks just like the brush cutter add on model pictured above. Now I'm wondering how DR sells that for $1,000 and the 3PH one for close to $2,000. Seems like the PTO shaft would be about the only difference, unless the guts are smaller on the brush cutter model. Hmmm.

Edit: Just saw the ask on experience with either unit. Can't really say as I've only run mine on my BX1850 (now 1860) for 2 minutes. Chipped small stuff (under 3") fine at 2200 RPM, and 3"+ at full throttle. Found out the PTO shaft is too long in the full up 3PH position, so I need to cut it some more before putting to heavy use, which won't be until the new year or so due to other projects.

/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment #6  
I just bought a used 3PH model for $1,000. Chips up to 4.5". Looks just like the brush cutter add on model pictured above. Now I'm wondering how DR sells that for $1,000 and the 3PH one for close to $2,000. Seems like the PTO shaft would be about the only difference, unless the guts are smaller on the brush cutter model. Hmmm.

Edit: Just saw the ask on experience with either unit. Can't really say as I've only run mine on my BX1850 (now 1860) for 2 minutes. Chipped small stuff (under 3") fine at 2200 RPM, and 3"+ at full throttle. Found out the PTO shaft is too long in the full up 3PH position, so I need to cut it some more before putting to heavy use, which won't be until the new year or so due to other projects.

Aren't they two different sizes -- one chips larger limbs than the other? I know DR makes two different ones. One for 4.5" or so, and one for 3" or so...

I have been playing with the brush mower chipper attachment for a day now.

The salesman said that it is almost the same as the 11.0 HP stand alone model, but since I have a 17 HP mower, it will be able to do a bit more.

It took me an hour or so to put it together and connect the wiring harness to the mower. The instructions are quite poor and vague.

The wiring harness is needed, to disable the safety switch that is needed for running the mower. A clamp/rubber band could replace it, that you could put over the handle.

I do not like that I have to have the light running to run this chipper, bad design.
I also do no not like that I have to connect/disconnect the plug each time I attach the chipper. They want you to install a relay on the outside of the mower, I installed it on the inside to protect it, bad design. The harness plug is not meant to be taken on and off a lot, BUT they still used it in their design. Quite a bad design. Bought a spare blade, $50, too pricey.

When running, it chips very well. Chipped up to 3" trees no problem.

Here is a little video, if you want to see what it can do.
LINK

If I didn't need to take this chipper on trails, I would have got the 3 point hitch model for my tractor. I think this will last for years though, plus my dog likes it. :)

/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment #8  
wow!! that works very well. another fine product from DR.

/ DR Brush mower's - Wood Chipper Attachment #9  
Aren't they two different sizes -- one chips larger limbs than the other? I know DR makes two different ones. One for 4.5" or so, and one for 3" or so...

KenT, I sure hope so. In fact I'm pretty sure that's the main difference, but almost another $1,000 to be able to chip limbs 1.5" larger.

jinjimbob, nice video - are you in the video production biz? Can't wait to crank mine up and make some chips, but like I noted above, no time for that until maybe after Christmas. Wife has me painting the kitchen and I've got strict orders to finish before Xmas. We took down wallpaper, so I'm spending a fair amount of time on patching and sanding the walls. Anyway, back to your DR unit, it really ran smooth with no noticeable vibration of the machine. I hope mine runs as smooth.

nope, I don't do videos for a living, just for fun. :)

The unit isn't perfect, but I will keep it. I just need a bigger garage for all these toys.