Flat free tires for carts

/ Flat free tires for carts #1  

MrWoodChips

Bronze Member
Well, I made a mistake the other day. Our tow behind cart was always losing air in the tires, so rather than tubing them, I bought new flat free tires from Marathon. Not in itself a bad thing to do. I purposely got tires that were rated for more of a load than the originals were. We get a lot of use from that little cart, so it seemed worth it.

So one day I had to move some rock about a mile down the road. The tires had a claimed rating of 500 pounds apiece, so 700 pounds of rock seemed not too much to pull with the tractor. The flaw in my thinking was the hot, sunny day I did it on. Half way down the road (asphalt, and hot from the sun - 83 degrees in the shade that day) I looked back at the tires and noticed they seemed loose on the rims, as if they had expanded from the heat. Thinking I should watch that and take it easy, I drove on for only another 50 feet. One of my brand new tires had just rolled off the rim. I felt it, and it was really soft. The load on them had probably added internal friction, kneading them to be way too hot.

I returned with alternative transportation to rescue the trailer, but now I was stuck with a rim and a tire, sadly disconnected. There was a small tear in the tire, created when it came off the rim. Once the tire cooled down, it shrunk in size and stiffened up dramatically. There was no way I could get it back on the rim. So I wondered how they did it in the factory. Probably use microwave heating to soften and expand it, then I'd push the tire onto a mandrel, and slide it right onto the rim. Since my wife might object to this use of our oven, I thought some more.

An easy solution came to me eventually. A bath in our tub with the hottest water I could deliver warmed the tire back up, though probably not quite as soft as it was the other day. It was at least now malleable again. I measured the inside diameter of the donut, and it had grown by nearly a half inch. I was debating if I'd need to use boiling water, but this seemed like it might work.

A big screwdriver and I now were able to lever it back on the rim. Once I had it on, a little polyurethane glue seemed the right fix for the minor tear in the poly tire.

Lesson learned - don't overheat flat free tires. But if you do, they can be reheated. ;)

John

/ Flat free tires for carts #2  
Wow! Sorry, but those tires don't sound very good to me. I'd be taking them back for a refund. They shouldn't do that, even if the air temp is over 100. How fast were you going? Had you thought about just getting regular tires foam filled? Or buying multi-ply and then use them with inner tubes?

/ Flat free tires for carts
Wow! Sorry, but those tires don't sound very good to me. I'd be taking them back for a refund. They shouldn't do that, even if the air temp is over 100. How fast were you going? Had you thought about just getting regular tires foam filled? Or buying multi-ply and then use them with inner tubes?

Yes. I was disappointed in them. As long as I stay around the yard, they are fine. I had thought about the other options, but these seemed perfect. Not too much more than a regular tire, especially since I was going to to replace the rims. (The old rims were beat up, possibly why they were leaking air.) Having a regular tire foam filled is not cheap from what I'd heard. Tubes in a multi-ply tire would probably have been the best solution in hindsight.

I was not speeding, since my tractor only goes up to 8 miles an hour at max speed. I was pretty much maxed out on the road, but even so I'd not call 8 MPH "fast".

I'm planning on keeping these tires, I'll just stick within their limits. At least they won't go flat on me.

John