Vintage or newer Garden Tractor?

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #11  
So, I'm a total newbie to garden tractors... but, I'm looking to buy a tractor primarily for snow removal on my long driveway but also to mow the lawn which is a fairly steep hill. Limited budget so have been looking in the $1500 range for used units. So far, I've looked at a couple of older tractors with the mower and snowblower attachments... a Cub Cadet 982 and a Gravely 16-G, both in very nice condition. I realize that these are somewhat vintage products so am a bit concerned about reliability and parts though I'm impressed by the build quality. The other candidate is a 10 year old Cub Cadet 2165 with only 100 hours. It seems fine though not as heavily built as the others. But, suspect parts are more available and maybe it's has better components less likely to fail when I need to move all that snow? Would really appreciate the thoughts and advice of those with knowledge and experience. Thanks!

Theres an old wheelhorse GT-2500 w/ snowblower and mower deck on Maine craigslist in farm & garden section right now for $500. Hard to tell for sure but pictures look good. MIght be close enough for you to check out since you're in Cow Hampsha. I'd post the link but I don't think that is allowed anymore.

This is the description:

"wheelhorse gt-2500 anniversary special 11hp briggs & stratton engine. it has 423 hrs on it. engine was rebuilt at 331 hrs. 3speed w/ rev high & low range. snow blower is a 34 in cut & mower is 42 in cut. runs great $500.00 "

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #12  
Most of the blowers I have seen on ebay for Bolens are singles,, I don't think I have ever seen a single stage blower for a Gravely, all two stage far as I know. I have never owned a Gravely rider but if it's even close to the walkbehind you will not be dissappointed. I run the oldest style blower made for the walkbehind and I have found nothing that it will not blow and the newer ones are dubbed "snow cannons".

I have a '70 Gravely four wheel tractor with a single stage snow blower that sucks!:mad:
However I have a 1990 Wheel Horse 416-8 Last year of Kohler command big single. HEAVY machine that will throw or mow with a 48" deck with the best of them Was thinking about selling it. It is kind of over kill for my property.

Last edited:
   / Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #13  
What should the buyer be looking for if he wants a good snowblower outfit? Is there something about your Gravely that you don't like? Wasn't sure if you meant the snowblower or the tractor or both.