Vintage or newer Garden Tractor?

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #1  

nhdude

So, I'm a total newbie to garden tractors... but, I'm looking to buy a tractor primarily for snow removal on my long driveway but also to mow the lawn which is a fairly steep hill. Limited budget so have been looking in the $1500 range for used units. So far, I've looked at a couple of older tractors with the mower and snowblower attachments... a Cub Cadet 982 and a Gravely 16-G, both in very nice condition. I realize that these are somewhat vintage products so am a bit concerned about reliability and parts though I'm impressed by the build quality. The other candidate is a 10 year old Cub Cadet 2165 with only 100 hours. It seems fine though not as heavily built as the others. But, suspect parts are more available and maybe it's has better components less likely to fail when I need to move all that snow? Would really appreciate the thoughts and advice of those with knowledge and experience. Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #2  
On your budget amount I don't think your gonna find anything but entry level light duty stuff in the new stuff. The 982 and the 16G were top of the line in their day heavy duty machines for sure. For me it's a no brainer,, I'd take either of those two you listed over any new machine as long as they were not in a badly abused state,, and if they were I'd keep shopping. The newest machine I use is an AC 5020 it's a 1984, bought it new, I also have a 1983 Bolens ST 160, and a 1975 Gravely Com 12,,, no need for that expensive shinny stuff. I got the Bolens and the Gravely free for the taking,, I did have to do some fixing as the Bolens was run till it couldn't run no more, and the Gravely had sat under a shed with a bad roof and hadn't been run for years by the looks of things.

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #3  
The "vintage" tractors probably have cast iron Kohler engines. You can still get points, plugs, filters, and most other parts. I haven't had too much experience buying Gravely parts, but MTD does seem to keep producing Cub Cadet parts.

If these units are in nice condition, I agree that these units are the biggest bang for the buck. When they were new, they were top of the line and cost a bunch. The new units aren't made to the same standards because the cost would be so much they just about couldn't sell them. Think of the shipping charges on all that cast iron.

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #4  
I would go with an older tractor, my parents have a Bolens 1050. that thing is a beast, it has diff lock and with a set of chains on and the diff locked it will go wherever you want to go pulling a 5x5 trailer full of wood. it also has PTO driven implements as opposed to belt driven ones... I saw one near me a few weeks back that had a hydraulic lift on it... it looked nice, but wasnt worth the price he wanted.

Aaron Z

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #5  
I would go with an older tractor, my
parents have a Bolens 1050. that thing is a beast, it has diff lock and with a set of chains on and the diff locked it will go wherever you want to go pulling a 5x5 trailer full of wood. it also has PTO driven implements as opposed to belt driven ones...
I saw one near me a few weeks back that had a hydraulic lift on it... it looked nice, but wasnt worth the price he wanted.

Aaron Z
I know where there is an 850 with tiller front blade 2 mower decks weight tray 2 weights and 2 sets of tire chains for $1248. The 850 and 1050 are about alike except the 1050 has a couple more HP than the 850.

L . B .

Last edited:
   / Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #6  
My newest tractor was made over 20 years ago. From the models you posted, I'd probably get the Cub Cadet 982, unless the Gravely was in significantly better condition

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor?
Thanks everyone for the great advice! The 982 has already been sold so is no longer an option. I do see an occasional Bolens up for sale but none with snowblowers. Did these have 2-stage units available? The Gravely is in nice shape but he doesn't know how many hours are on it. Didn't have an hour meter until he put one on 6 years ago that has amassed 44 hours over that timeframe. So, if I don't go for that one, I'll just keep looking! Thanks again!

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #8  
Most of the blowers I have seen on ebay for Bolens are singles,, I don't think I have ever seen a single stage blower for a Gravely, all two stage far as I know. I have never owned a Gravely rider but if it's even close to the walkbehind you will not be dissappointed. I run the oldest style blower made for the walkbehind and I have found nothing that it will not blow and the newer ones are dubbed "snow cannons".

/ Vintage or newer Garden Tractor? #10  
I was in the same boat as you two years ago. Buy a new big box store or sears "throw away" tractor or an oldie.

I chose the Oldie. A 1975 Case 446 with a 16hp Onan and a 48" deck. Cost me $800 and I haven't had any repairs. I simply change the oil and put gas in it.

The only difference worth mentioning is that the oldies tend to use more fuel / HP than the newer tractors.

Also, don't be intimidated by the horsepower ratings used in the older tractors. I would put my old 16HP Case up against any of the so called "25hp" Sears tractors anyday and would drag it all over the yard.

Good luck in your search!

Nathan