Gilson 16 HP Tractor

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #1  

TC29Ddave

Tractor
TC29D 2001
I'm looking at a Gilson tractor. It looks to be pretty well built but old. it has a single cyl engine. The cutting deck is off and in the corner of the garage. If memory serves these were sold by Monkey Ward. Any help would be appreciated.

What are they worth? can you get parts, the usual quesions.

Thank you in advance

DCD

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #3  
TC29Ddave,

I use to own a 1985 11hp Briggs N Stratton powered Wizard lawn tractor with a 38" mower deck. I bought it at a Western Auto store. It was made by Gilson for Western Auto back then. Lawn Boy then bought Gilson, then Toro bought Lawn Boy. I had to buy parts from a Toro dealer back in 1998 when I still owned the Wizard lawn tractor.

I use to beat the heck out of this lawn tractor knowing I was going to buy a Toro WH garden tractor to replace it with. I don't purposely abuse my equipment, but I used this lawn tractor sometimes like a garden tractor. All I ever had to replace on it was a drive and deck belts, and deck spindles. I eventually sold it for $100.00 in 1998.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed with it's Gilson quality. What hp engine does this tractor have in it that you are looking at? What size mower deck also? You might want to check with your local Toro WH dealer to see if parts are still available. I hope this info will help you.

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #4  
The only thing they are worth is maybe a little bit in collector value or utility value if it still works, as the old ones were well made. You can just about forget about parts, as mentioned Gilson was lost in a few takeover/buyout parades.

-Fordlords-

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #5  
if the single cylinder engine is a "K" series Kohler. then parts are readily available for the motor. Bearings, belts and such are generic and readily available. What's gonna be hard to find is any tin work, mounting brackets, deck parts, front axle parts, etc that were made for this specific tractor. You might have some luck at your local Toroo dealer, or haunt Ebay and Craig's list and check out your local dealer's boneyards "out back".

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #6  
Fordlords,

Where abouts do you live in Erie? Just curious. I live about 8 miles south of Conneaut, Ohio off of Rt. 7. My wife and I spend a lot of time shopping in and around Erie a lot. Are you getting ready for this winter's lake effect snow?

Art

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #7  
I live in Millcreek, around where the Erie mall is. I am ready for winter, with a new Ariens snowthrower ready to go-- it won't be long now :)

-Fordlords-

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #8  
Having had 3 over the years I find them to be reasonably reliable tractors. Will last a long time if kept inside when not in use, so the deck dries out etc. Parts are a problem because there are many variations from year to year even in the same model. I think different vendors were used for tractors and mower decks. i.e. a deck from a different year will hang from the tractor but the pulleys will not match up. It's worth whatever you're willing to pay for whatever use you expect, limited by what it will do on the day you buy it. If the mower is junk you'll be very unlikely to find a usable replacement. Spindles can be had. If you buy it look around for a lawn tractor pulling group. They have what's available for leftover attachments / parts. MikeD74T

/ Gilson 16 HP Tractor #9  
Try this group on Yahoo! Gilson Collectors.

I have a 1974 Gilson Hydro-16 that needs a spindle in the mower deck. I bought mine years ago for $365 complete. It needed major service and cleanup, but I did what I could and got lots of years out of it. The 16 hp single-cylinder B&S engine is a bit of a bear to start because of compression, but plenty strong. Does your's have the hydraulic deck lift?

Yes, Wards tractors were made by Gilson and many of them are still out there today.

Attachments

• 74GilsonHyd16hp.jpg
    74GilsonHyd16hp.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 5,634
   / Gilson 16 HP Tractor #10  
I'm looking at a Gilson tractor. It looks to be pretty well built but old. it has a single cyl engine. The cutting deck is off and in the corner of the garage. If memory serves these were sold by Monkey Ward. Any help would be appreciated.

What are they worth? can you get parts, the usual quesions.

Thank you in advance

DCD

If you can get me the model and serial number of the tractor, I might be able to answer some of your questions and maybe (???) even help you find any parts you are looking for.

RB