Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently.

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #1  

DJoseph

Help! After returning a DR top end commercial lawn/leaf vac I recently purchased the Cyclone XL model. I'm even less pleased w/this unit than the DR. At first it picked up well but then when the cart was about 1/3 full it started missing all sorts of stuff. The "screen" on top of the container was pluggeg solid w/grass and leaf debris. I cleaned it and again, same problem. I installed the 2nd screen that came w/the unit which was labeled "for grass". Again same issue. In retrospect, the DR I returned had a far better container/seperator design but the CR has a better boot/hose/blower/hardware system. I tried to buy a DR container to mount on this unit which would make it the best of both worlds but DR will not sell me parts unless I can verify I own a DR machine. (They don't even know what I want the parts for-just a solid no serial number no parts attitude) What can I do about the Cyclone screen issue? Anyone experiencing this issue? In hindsight I would prefer the DR because of the container issue but they shot themselves in the foot w/their parts attitude. Please jump in and offer comments/solutions/experiences. Thanks guys.

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #2  
Please call the Cyclone Rake service team at 888-531-7253. We can provide you with a solution that should fix the problem.

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #3  
I have also had this problem when the grass is damp. Also, at the right temperatures I get ice build up on the screen. Temps in the low 40's. How about posting a solution on line.

Please call the Cyclone Rake service team at 888-531-7253. We can provide you with a solution that should fix the problem.

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently.
Brain I called Cyclone on the screen plugging issue and they informed me they have a "new" design for the screen and will send one out to me. I called again this morning to find out if it has been sent (it has not as yet)and found out it is a solid cover-no vent. I asked the representative how the air was supposed to flow into the container when there was no outlet. She said the opening in the chute that feeds into the container would be the exit. I want to keep an open mind on this and will of course give it a try but it sure seems to me that a container w/no outlet is simply not going to allow the full flow of air from the turbine hence sub-optimal pickup and trash exiting from the feed chute openings. I hope it works as my decision on whether to keep this unit or not hinges on this screen issue. I let you and other know.:confused:

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #5  
I also have a cyclone rake, since 1999, and have nothing but praise for it. I mostly do all my leaf vacuuming when it is as dry as possible. It and the New Holland TC48DA tractor I bought are about the two best products I have ever spent money on. I went from spending all weekend cleaning up leaves, to running the Cyclone Rake around for maybe a few hours during the heaviest leaf collection times.....What a great, smooth flow design it is. I almost bought the John Deere power flow arrangement, but didn't like the poorly engineered drive belt arrangement. And it was very pricey. The Cyclone Rake served me well for 8 years, then the older style zipper failed. When I contacted CR to inquire about a replacemnt, I was very surprise as to how reasonably priced a new heavier duty collection bag, with new rear discharge design was, and also a new chute. All fit perfectly onto my 1999 vintage CR. It has been an absolute joy to operate, and own. If it totally failed tomorrow, I would just buy another brand new unit. That's how well it has served me. It also almost never clogs. One of the few products that does what they advertise it to do. :)

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #6  
I almost bought the John Deere power flow arrangement, but didn't like the poorly engineered drive belt arrangement. And it was very pricey.
I was just bragging in the other DR or Cyclone thread here about how much I like mine!! :eek: It's 6 years old, and I've had zero problems with it so far. Not cheap, tho... :rolleyes:

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #7  
In spite of the occasional exit screen clogging, I love my cyclone rake. I do not like to leave my equipment out in the weather and I do not have a large indoor storage area. The cyclone rake folds up and stores on a wall when it is not in use. To me, that is its best feature. It has saved me countless hours picking up leaves. I only pick up grass with it when the grass is too long to mulch.

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #8  
Another cyclone rake owner here and nothing but praise for it. In my 5th year of use. I've never had a problem with the exit screen clogging to the point it effected leaf pic up. It will keep loading the trailer to the point of being full and then the leaves blow out the bypass (the opening in the shoot as you call it) as it is designed to do (you know real quick that it's full that way). I'd say my only issue is the dust that comes out of the top vent when the leaves are dry. So, very curious what this new vent design is that is solid and how that would work. I'd be interested from the point of view of reducing the dust blowing around.

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #9  
Hey, I just called CR about this new screen to see what was what. Customer service guy said it's not a new screen but a whole new bagger that's wider at the back for easier unloading. Replacement bag for my unit is $149 and it would increas the unit's size from 200 galons to 285 galons, almost 50% increase. Since I'm in CT, I plan to stop in and take a look at the new design before I make a decision on upgrading.

/ Cyclone Rake XL screen plugs up frequently. #10  
Hello,

Cyclone Rake exit screen Clogging issue Solved! I have a new Cyclone Z-10 that was purchased last fall. I was all but ready to return the unit due to the discharge screen clogging issue. I decided being a designing engineer to explore the idea of fixing the problem myself due to loving everything about the machine other than the frustration of cleaning the screen about every 10 minutes. I developed a solution for the problem that requires a simple fabricated part that involves no modification to the unit and doesn't interfere with the unit folding up for storage. I contacted Woodland Power to see if they had any interest in my solution and found that they are not interested in fixing their err unless it is given to them for free. I wish someone would come and fix all my problems for free. I found it displeasing to find that I purchased a product from a company that has very little intent to pursue a solution for their product that would lead to customer satisfaction. I wasn't even asked what I would expect for my participation in helping them out. I am considering getting a patent for my part and selling it in the aftermarket. I am making this post to see how many cyclone rake owners would be interested in being able to mow your property without having to touch your exit screen with a brush.

Thanks,
Pete