Cordless Circular Saw?

/ Cordless Circular Saw? #1  

Slade

Silver Member
Anyone have any thoughts on battery powered circular saws? I need to do fence repairs, including cutting 7/8 inch by 5 inch wide cedar boards and it would really help if I could cut them out at the fence (too far for a cord).

I use a Craftsman cordless drill on fence repairs and it is great. With a couple batteries, would I get a reasonable number of cuts out of a 5.5" or 7.25" circular saw, or are they a waste?

Thanks!

/ Cordless Circular Saw? #2  
Mine is a Makita, and I love it. It will cut 2x4's and such with ease, but the most use I get out of it is to cut sheething on the roof. I just nail it down and trim with the saw. My batteries are Ion Lithium, which last quite awhile, but from being totally dead, will charge in about 15 minutes. I have four batteries and two chargers, so there's always a spare battery ready to go.

Eddie

/ Cordless Circular Saw? #3  
I have the Bosch 18v and the 24 v tool set including the saw. A good sharp blade is the best advise. Always have another battery on charge. I also have the Dewalt set. They both work fine, and you can see the cut better with a right hand cutting saw. Most company's make left hand saws I would not cut Hardie board with your good saws.

Last edited:
   / Cordless Circular Saw? #4  
I have a Milwaukee 18v bought it back in 2003. I use it for everything also I never have had to use my Craftsman corded saw since I bought this. I have had a couple batteries go bad over the years.

/ Cordless Circular Saw? #5  
I have a set of Milwaukee 28v, circular saw, drill, and saws-all and love them. Get an extra battery and go for it.

/ Cordless Circular Saw? #6  
I have the Dewalt and could not live without it.

/ Cordless Circular Saw? #7  
The circular saws are great (have a Dewalt) but depending on kit that you find--would a sawzall type work? If you are careful, you can get a pretty straight cut (how fancy a fence?) and it may have more other long term uses for you. It is nice to have the saw and drill use the same battery--just swap one when it goes dead, and always keep the extra on the charger (dewalt, to my knowledge) says that their charger is designed to have the battery on it indefinitely--does some sort of maintenance to the battery, just something else to look at. Also--there are lots of refurbed kits/units out there that are pretty good price points.

/ Cordless Circular Saw?
Thanks guys, I'm sold -- going out tomorrow to buy one.

I definitely need a circular saw, although a sawzall would be nice for other uses, since my girlfriend expects the fence to look perfect (all mile or so of it). LOL