Silver Member

Default B&S 15.5 OHV I/C vertical ignition chewed through?

My brother in law has a older Craftsman with a 15.5 hp B&S I/C vertical shaft single. Woudl not fire up so I took a look and saw a smelled lots of mouse activity. Took blower housing off and lts of nest and dead baby mice! Suckers chewed through ignition wire near coil. Anyone know the part # and are they all teh same on the B&S singles?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Re: B&S 15.5 OHV I/C vertical ignition chewed through?

Quote Originally Posted by shortlid View Post
    My brother in law has a older Craftsman with a 15.5 hp B&S I/C vertical shaft single. Woudl not fire up so I took a look and saw a smelled lots of mouse activity. Took blower housing off and lts of nest and dead baby mice! Suckers chewed through ignition wire near coil. Anyone know the part # and are they all teh same on the B&S singles?
    I don't know the numbers, but the B&S website has the parts manuals for most of their engines... Operator Manuals, Illustrated Parts Lists & Wiring Diagrams - Briggs & Stratton
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Challenger MT295

Default Re: B&S 15.5 OHV I/C vertical ignition chewed through?

As a temporary repair, just wrap the damaged wire with electrical tape. This usually works as long as you get rid of the mice.

My Briggs had the same problem. I have the replacement parts but never got around to installing them since the temporary repair works so well.

Lou Braun