***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #1  

Fishcapades

Hey guys im having some problems with a log splitter I picked up.
Its a huskee 22 ton with a 6hp brigs on it. As i was using it sunday. It started looseing its power. it seamed like it wasnt putting out its full tonage..

Its not the motor. I was splitting ash wood and was splitting rounds up to 24" in diameter.

Ive never had a problem before.

Guy I work with said that its cause the cylinder was geting hot and they have a bypass in side them when they get hot so they wont put out the full tonage. Is this true? He also said there not made to be used in warm weather, but it was only 56 degrees.

I change the fluid and filter and still no diffrence

My pump dose leak a bit it, could this be my problem?
Could the seals in my cylinder be shot....

Carl

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #2  
How old is this unit?

Somewhere, you are losing pressure or HP. Does it work fine when cold?

As the oil heats up, it will slip past a leak easier.

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #3  
Is your h oil foaming at all? Maybe your pump is sucking air. If no foam I think you should check the piston seal in your cylinder.
larry

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #4  
I have a 22 ton with a Briggs and mine started doing the same thing. I found that it was the slide binding on the beam, I drilled and tapped the back side of slide and installed grease fittings, also moved the spacer blocks closer to the beam to get rid of some of the slop in the slide. Got my power back.

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #5  
I have the same splitter. This may be completely unrelated, but I noticed that mine weeps Hydraulic fluid if it is leaning on the side of the fill plug.

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #6  
Could be slightly overfilled, especially when the fluid gets warm.
Wonder if the OP has found his problem and fixed it, would be nice to hear.

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #7  
Hey guys im having some problems with a log splitter I picked up.
Its a huskee 22 ton with a 6hp brigs on it. As i was using it sunday. It started looseing its power. it seamed like it wasnt putting out its full tonage..

Its not the motor. I was splitting ash wood and was splitting rounds up to 24" in diameter.

Guy I work with said that its cause the cylinder was geting hot and they have a bypass in side them when they get hot so they wont put out the full tonage. Is this true? He also said there not made to be used in warm weather, but it was only 56 degrees.

I change the fluid and filter and still no diffrence

My pump dose leak a bit it, could this be my problem?
Could the seals in my cylinder be shot....

Carl

I was using my splitter today and it started to do the same thing no power, guess what the engine seized up an that is the end of the engine. I am now looking for a new engine. the oil level was good, so I guess the heat thing must be valid. after the power decreased I continued to try and start it , it did start and then it just quit. :(

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #8  
I was using my splitter today and it started to do the same thing no power, guess what the engine seized up an that is the end of the engine. I am now looking for a new engine. the oil level was good, so I guess the heat thing must be valid. after the power decreased I continued to try and start it , it did start and then it just quit. :(

just a note I was splitting some very large wood 3ft dia. by around 24" long

/ ***HELP*** Huskee 22 ton splitter problems #9  
Junk the briggs and go to Harbor Freight and buy a Chonda (Chinese Honda).B&S used to build a pretty good engine, Nowadays, they're like Craftsman - junk aint worth hauling home. I've got a 6.5 h p Chonda from HF on my log splitter going on it's third season. Now leaks some oil, but has a low oil shutdown, and a pint of oil, and we are back to splitting. Find a $99 Briggs that will do that, and I'll buy one.