Deutz Allis

/ Deutz Allis #1  

OLDCARGUY261

Tractor
Duez Allis
I picked up this tractor and a 5'X8' utility trailer for mowing a friends appartment complex this year. the tractor is a Deutz Allis Something 18. I can't find any plates or stampings with any # it has a Kohler Mag 17 twin, hydro drive. the problem with it, it caught fire under the hood so all plastic is melted. I was told this tractor was made by Simplicity and is clone GT 18? On Kohler's website they only list a MV16 or a MV18. the only thing left on the engine for ID'n it is Kohler magnium 17. Anyone with info on this tractor or the engine would be greatly appreicated.

/ Deutz Allis #3  
It could be one of two models, the 917H or the Ultima 1918. The 917H used a Kohler KT17 opposed twin, the 1918 used the Magnum 18, there was never a Magnum 17 engine made as far as I know, and only 3 D/A models listed as using Kohler twins the other being a 20 HP. All the D/A lawn and garden tractors were made by Simplicity between 1985 and 1991.

-Fordlords-

/ Deutz Allis
went back over tractor. It is a Sigma 1817 17HP Hydrostatic, by decal on one side of hood. Is it possible this was a one year made tractor? It looks identical to the 1918.

/ Deutz Allis #5  
Tractordata.com shows very little on the 1817, other than it having the same engine (KT17) and other specs identical to the D/A 917H- it looks to be a later model of the 917H, with a different hood. It would be interesting to see the label on your engine- although I can find no supporting evidence, it is possible Kohler made a run of KT17's with magneto ignitions and called them Magnum 17's. I was told Deutz Allis used some different engines in the same tractor models during this time period when there were major problems with the Kohler KT engines. The Simplicity mechanical equal to these models looks to be the 7117, there are some cosmetic differences.

This company is probably the most confusing one out there, being bought and sold multiple times. Started as Simplicity, bought by Allis Chalmers, bought back by Simplicity, sold to Middlesworth company, sold to Snapper, than sold to Briggs and Stratton who owns it now.

Built lawn and garden tractors during its tenure under the names Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Deutz/Allis, Agco/Allis, Massey Ferguson, JC Penney, Montgomery Wards, Viking and Homelite.

-Fordlords-