Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials?

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I am considering a used John Deere riding mower for trimming, and maybe being the main grass cutter since my Kubota B7510 tears up the lawn. I want to stay away from the homeowner specials that the big box stores sold as "Made by John Deere". I want the stronger frame models built more solidly - not compromised to compete with the MTD, Cub Cadet, Scotts, etc. sold by Home Depot, Menards, Farm & Fleet, etc.

Which L-Series tractors were the Miline, Illinois built models actually built byJohn Deere? I see the plain l, LX, LA, GT, STX, GX, etc. My head is spinning.

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #2  
The "box store" John Deere tractors are the "L" and "LA" series and the older Scotts by John Deere models. They are built by John Deere but have less expensive engines and other parts than the "X" series models.

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #3  
The "L" and "LA" models are Deeres built in their Tennessee plant for sale at dealers and box stores in addition to the G100 and G110. The "LT", "LX", "GT", "GX" and "X" models are built in Horicon WI by Deere for sale by dealers only. Horicon has been the manufacturing home for Deere lawn and garden tractors (except the box store models) since the beginning in the early 1960s. I believe the Moline plant manufactures Ag equip.

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #4  
Deere stopped building the Scotts and Sabre box store off brands a number of years ago. All their LGT's come out of Deere plants with the Deere name on them, and they are not sold under other brand names. Generally speaking, when looking at the late model used Deere's, the upper end non box store ones will have Kawasaki power over Briggs or Kohler.

-Fordlords-

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #5  
Thats correct Joe, both of my Deeres, 316 and 318 are Horicon WI built tractors and built like a tank to! I am rebuilding the P218 from the 318 now. Dingbat previous owner run her low on oil and she threw a rod at 551 hours. Getting 2 new rods and the crank turned. Cylinders still have a nice cross hatch pattern, going to give them a quick hone and some new rings on the pistons. Thankfully the rod didnt hit the cam or put a hole in the block, just a few dings and mashed the oil crossover tube that I get to change now. Cheers Mike

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #6  
The sad part is for the cost of one of the middle to upper box store John Deeres, I can hook you up with one of these with a freshly rebuilt engine. Local gentlemen rebuilds and sells vintage JD garden tractors, has 3 318's ready to go and another one getting its engine rebuilt now. All are under $2300 I believe and come with mower decks. I scorred this one with a blown up engine, but only 551 hours on it, with a mower deck, powerflow bagger and 54" power angle snow blade for $700 on craigslist. The engine is fixable, he ran it low on oil and it broke a rod. I will have $300 in parts plus my time to rebuild it. The stuff at HD and Lowes cant even come close to the durabilty of this machine. P.S. I put a spare P218 Onan in the tractor to make it usable till I rebuilt its original engine. Mike
jd318.jpg

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #7  
It never fails to amaze me when someone owns what is probably the best garden tractor ever built, a 318, and they can't do something as simple as check the oil. Unless it's completely trashed, basically any Onan engine or Deere 318 is well worth rebuilding. I would buy a used 318 long before considering a disposable Home Depot special. :)

-Fordlords-

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #8  
i def agree w/ fordlords and botamike

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #9  
My appoligies to the OP....I know this is off the subject, but Mike.....how hard is it to get to the ignition control module on that Onan?? I have one on an old Gravely that has gone bad and I am toyng with the idea of fixing it myself. Any advice or help you can offer would be greatly appreicated! Thank you!! :)

Chris

/ Which John Deere's Are Home Depot Specials? #10  
basically any Onan engine or Deere 318 is well worth rebuilding. I would buy a used 318 long before considering a disposable Home Depot special.

318's (and many of the other Deere's of that era) are great tractors, but there are many lemons among the Onan engines that are put them in them.

I'd also avoid the Kawaski's that are used in the upper end Deere's. I can't tell you the number of problems and expensive repairs that we've been seeing from those engines... although I can't say there is much out there for gas engines now that really is a standout. Seems most anything thats not diesel has gone to crap.