how much compression should a Stihl 044 have?

/ how much compression should a Stihl 044 have? #1  

bester

I've got an older Stihl 044 saw that seems to bog out on large logs.I checked the compression and its 130-135# cold and 115# hot.Is this normal or is it time to rebuild? Has anyone tryed a big bore kit on a saw this size and does it make much difference? I opened up the exhaust a little bit and adjusted the carb,its not too bad now but I'm still not very happy with it.I havent had much luck trying to find a good deal on a 460 or a 660 so thought maybe the big bore kit was the way to go,Any thoughts would be appreciated to help me decide what to do. Thanks

/ how much compression should a Stihl 044 have? #2  
if you don't get an answer here, I'd suggest asking this question over at ArboristSite. Lot's of good chainsaw people over there.

/ how much compression should a Stihl 044 have?
Thanks I'll try that, but if anyone knows let me know

/ how much compression should a Stihl 044 have? #4  
Have a look at the rubber intake hose between the cylinder and the carb . It is more than likely split . When a saw jams in a limb , our first instinct is to pull back on it to get it out . This tears the hose as the rubber mounts on the handle are stretched out and the hose runs out of give . When you pull up on the handle to cut a log the slit opens causing a vacuum leak and the engine falls on it's face .

/ how much compression should a Stihl 044 have? #5  
As far as compression, you can usually tell by how the saw pulls when starting it. Make sure you have a gauge with a schrader valve right at the tip of the spark plug adapter or you will get a low reading every time. I've seen a 20psi drop with the wrong type of gauge to be pretty common. With a larger displacement cylinder like in a car, there is enough volume that any gauge will work. Not so on small engines.

As far as the BB kits go, I wouldn't touch one for free. I am a Stihl dealer and I have looked at several of the BB kits, in hopes of finding lower cost parts for doing repairs. I would rather throw a saw in the trash, that put a BB kit on it. The cylinder to piston fit is poor, the cylinder wall finish is poor, the ring quality is poor, the piston pins aren't a tapered design and are heavy, and the wrist pin clips have been know to fail and take out the whole upper end.

If you do find that you have low compression, you can get the standard 460 cylinder to fit with modification. I've never done it, but I think the bolt holes in the cylinder need slotted to fit the bolt pattern of the 044 case. If you aren't very comfortable working on saws, I wouldn't try it because I wouldn't do it without carefully checking piston skirt to crankcase fit and also piston squish height.

Also, be careful as to how old the 044 that you have is. The early designs had a 10mm piston pin, and the later ones were 12mm. If it's the 10mm, neither the BB or OEM 460 parts will fit.

Serial numbers after X29382283 should have the 12mm piston pin.

/ how much compression should a Stihl 044 have?
Thanks, everything checked out and my compression gage has the schraeder valve in the end by the way.I've decided to try a fresh piston and poss. some minor porting.Sure hope it runs good otherwise its a new 460 for me and I really cant afford that right now.Thanks for the help