Need opnions... Looking at a 97 F1145 Front Mount Mower

/ Need opnions... Looking at a 97 F1145 Front Mount Mower #1  

Jason B

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 425( soon to be 455)
Hi Guys

Well yesturday morning I went to look at a 1997 John Deere F1145 Front Mount Mower. It comes with a 60" mower deck and a 60" 22" Diameter Rotary Broom for the front of it. It has FWD which is a big plus. It has around 2,297hrs on the 28hp Yanmar Diesel. Started her and drove her around yesturday at the dealers lot, no smoking or anything. It seems like it was well taken care of. Engine sounded and ran perfect. Only a few minor things, like spot weilding a few cracks on the mower deck, probably replace the bearings in the mower deck and repaint the mower deck.. Other then that it is in good shape. No major repairs were done on the unit and it is really well built.

I primarly want the F1145 as it comes with a Rotary Broom which would be ideal for sweeping small- mid sized parking lots and lawns in the Spring. Also I want it for the 4X4 so I can put a 2 Stage Snow Blower on it and blow snow in the winter. The tractor, I blow snow with now, a 20hp Agco Allis 1920H( Simplicity SunStar) is not cutting it any more, it has no differential lock and often was getting stuck. I had to turn down a few potential good jobs for snow removal as the Agco was not up to the task. The 1920H is a great tractor but without diff lock or 4X4 it's useless for blowing snow comerically.

I also own a 1995 John Deere 455 AWS with 60" deck, that has differential lock, and have considered putting a Blower on the front of it, but would rather have the 4X4, and I don't feel like putting out the $$$ for a 2210 or 2305, plus the 455 is a **** of a mower in my opnion.

My thoughts was to buy the F1145 Deere Front mount with the 60" deck, Rotary Broom, and mount a Snow Blower on the front for the winter months. The F1145 would be used to cut some of the properties that I maintain that are bigger, and are less picky about clippings. The 455AWS, meanwhile, would have it's 60" deck swamped out for a 48" or 54" deck and mounted permantely to the Hydrolic Dump MCS with power pack engine and be used to maintain the more fussier customers who want their grass clippings picked up as well, as well the ones that want the clippings picked up, have smaller lots and this is where the 455AWS with a 54" deck is the time to shine. Ether way, I won't be trading the 455 off on the F1145, the tractor that would go would be the Agco Allis 1920H.

Some may wonder, why I would not go with a ZTR instead, but personally I don't really care for Zero Turn mowers. I have ran a few Zero Turns for over 300+ hrs at another employer I work for, and don't really care much for them. Too rough riding and not as well built, in my opnion only. They are great for small property owners, but I personally would not own a ZTR, at least a mid deck mount one. The only two, I would consider is that Grasshopper ZTR with the deck out front or that New Walker Front Mount ZTR. But I want 4X4 for blowing snow and those don't offer 4X4. The place at I work, has a ZD28 Kbouta ZTR with 72" deck and it has been plqued with problems since it was new in 03... Won't get into it, but I am not a fan of ZTRs, ethier a Front mount or an AWS unit is what I perfer. And if you really push a Front Mount you can keep up with a ZTR. I have seen a Kbouta F3060 with 72" deck Front mount keep pace with a Exmark ZTR with the same deck size going neck to neck. Of course when they ran into a wet spot, the Front Mount FWD unit pulled through while the ZTR got stuck and the Front Mount had to pull it out.

Not knocking ZTRs, just my opnions though, they are great for those who maintain 80+ lawns and all they do is cut grass or a home owner but my prefernce would be the Front Mount with 4X4 for tough going. Some seasons in my area at least, you have to cut when she is wet or dry to keep ahead of the grass, which means runing in wet slippery grass, and having the 4X4 is a nice reassurance for traction where as if you get a ZTR stuck it's a whole different story.

Take Care Jason B

/ Need opnions... Looking at a 97 F1145 Front Mount Mower #2  
Jason,

I traded an F911 (60" deck) with 1500+ hrs. on a ZTR and definitely prefer running the front mount as well.

My understanding is the F1145 is basically an 855 compact tractor turned around backward. Assuming it has been maintained it should still have a lot of life left. A couple of things I would look over carefully. First, check the PTO driveline that runs from the rear of the machine to the front. The pillow-block bearing went out on mine so I replaced all of the bearings and PTO brake band. Not too bad if you can do it all yourself but still some $$$. If the PTO shaft gets damaged I was told that it is over $1000 by itself. Second, check the wobble on the mower deck PTO shaft. I replaced that and it was over $300 for the parts as I recall. I did the u-joint work myself or it would have been more expensive.

On these mowers you need to minimize the time when the mower deck travels down a slope before the machine starts down, i.e. going into a ditch area. In those situations you will hear the driveline rattle just like taking a corner too sharp with a PTO powered implement behind a tractor.

I looked around for an F1145 before I bought the ZTR but could not find one at what I thought was a reasonable price. If I had one I would use a 72" deck on it to get the additional offset.

dsb

/ Need opnions... Looking at a 97 F1145 Front Mount Mower
Thanks for the information!

Fortunately most of the properties are pretty flat with a few slops but not really bad at all. The Yanmar Diesel is a real good engine and from what I have been told this particular F1145 I looked at was well maintained. It never sat out side as the paint still looks new, except the deck which has the usually scratches and scrapes from running around things. I know she seems to have plenty of power. I do know it will need a new seat as it's cut up pretty bad, but for now, I can always put a seat cover over it, or pick up a cheap new seat from TSC or something. I am sure a new seat from Deere would be pretty pricey.

I should probably take a look at the belt on the mower deck as well, and if I decide to buy it, work it into the deal to have it replaced or checked if it is worn out, if in fact that the belt is the orginal mower drive belt with 2,000 hrs on it.

Take Care Jason B

/ Need opnions... Looking at a 97 F1145 Front Mount Mower #4  
I replaced the belt on my 60". Don't recall how many hours it had at the time. It was still working but showed cracking. You should take the deck off the unit and open the covers. There is a spring loaded tensioner pulley that I had to replace the spring twice. If the unit has been serviced properly the idler arm should be free. It has a grease zerk that is only accessible when the covers are removed. There are also zerks on a short shaft between the engine and transmission. They are only accessible from underneath. Might be worth checking those to make sure they show signs of greasing and the knuckles are tight on those as well.

dsb

/ Need opnions... Looking at a 97 F1145 Front Mount Mower
Hi

Well, I bought the F1145 Front Mount this morning. Kept the 1920H as I will probably still have a use for it. Offered him $6,900 Cash ( Canadian) for the mower and the Broom together! He orginally wanted $7300 Canadian but I chewed him down a bit and I bought my first Front Mount Mower. Take Care Jason B