Small Roto-Tiller

/ Small Roto-Tiller #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
We need to get a small roto-tiller for our garden. What do you think or the Mantis rototiller (http://mantis.com/home.asp)? Is it worth paying an extra $100-$150 more for the Mantis versus a "generic" that you can get down at the farm supply store.

/ Small Roto-Tiller #2  
if you're just tilling in between plants, etc........the mantis is great!

i don't know about the other ones........

if you watch craigslist, they come up for about $100 or so every now and then...

go to craigshelper.com and search for mantis or tiller....

/ Small Roto-Tiller #3  
We need to get a small roto-tiller for our garden. What do you think or the Mantis rototiller (http://mantis.com/home.asp)? Is it worth paying an extra $100-$150 more for the Mantis versus a "generic" that you can get down at the farm supply store.
We have a mantis tiller(3 years) with the honda motor for our flower beds and garden,it has been flawless.IMHO its worth the extra money,starts up every time on the second pull.coobie

/ Small Roto-Tiller #4  
We had a Troy bilt 2 cycle flower bed type tiller, and it was such a booger to start that I ended up selling it. It was a marked down return item at the local box store, and I never should have brought it home.

A friend let me borrow his Mantis, and his Mantis was a much better unit in my opinion. Not just the starting, but the way the Mantis handles are designed makes it easier to use than the tiller I used to own. For me, the Mantis just had a better balance to it than the other unit. I suggest you pay attention to the design of the handles on whatever your buy.

these size tillers are good for small areas--but a larger tiller would be better for something like acre gardens.

/ Small Roto-Tiller #5  
Those small tillers are made for weeding NOT for tilling. If you look at the TV ad they are using it in fresh tilled loose ground.
I bought one and it does OK for weeding in between areas but will take you ten times longer than a real tiller. And mine clogs up with weeds and roots and has to be cleared manually.

/ Small Roto-Tiller #6  
I keep wanting one, then I see the price....I plant my rows far enough apart to get my 2' tiller into.

/ Small Roto-Tiller #7  
I've had a Mantis for over nine years now and just this week wouldn't start. Probably a filter and fuel line. (Common on 2-cycle engines) I haven't had a chance to look at it. Granted it's not the tiller I use at the beginning of the year but it does a great job for cultivating and tilling between rows. The thing will dig to China if you pull it back and forth.

The problem I've seen with the copies is the gear box. They're weak and you can't buy just the gears. You have to buy the whole transmission assembly. They show up in garage sales for $75-$100 needing a gear box. The last time I checked, the gear box ran about $135. That was several years ago.

If you do buy a used one, make sure it runs and doesn't just sit there clicking.

/ Small Roto-Tiller #8  
My wife has a small Honda tiller she uses for weeding. It is a 4 stroke and starts very easy. Has been very reliable. If you get the Mantis go for the Honda engine.

/ Small Roto-Tiller #9  
Southern if this is for the new garden area you were talking about in another post the Mantis is not what you want. It will not do a good job on virgin soil with grass. As others have said it is a great weeder between rolls or in tight flower beds, it is not a great deep ground breaker for season starting tilling.

MarkV

/ Small Roto-Tiller
Southern if this is for the new garden area you were talking about in another post the Mantis is not what you want. It will not do a good job on virgin soil with grass. As others have said it is a great weeder between rolls or in tight flower beds, it is not a great deep ground breaker for season starting tilling.

MarkV

Hi Mark,

My wife wanted it mostly for her very small herb garden and also to till weeds between the rows of our larger garden which I will rototill with my tractor.

Thanks.