Trouble replacing a maul handle

/ Trouble replacing a maul handle #1  

rdln

Veteran Member
Tractor
jd 970, JD GT235
Folks, tell me whats happening. I have replaced sledge and single bit and maul handles before with no problem.

Today I tested the maul with new handle and stuck it into a hard maple log, upon prying
it out...crack, hhmm I am thinking that it broke because the slit was still visible below the head???

I care fullly squared off the splinters and shaved it down to allow another try. I sawed a kerf down the middle to allow compression but not deep enuff to see it when bottomed. wedged it and upon testing it...crack!! just like before.

The crack was perpendicular to the length not diagonal like when a baseball bat cracks and right at the bottom off the head.

Did I just get ahold of a bad handle?

about a 8lb splitting maul and a new "Link" brand 36" hickory handle and I am sure the head is oriented like the original handle.

the handle was labeled a "sledge" handle but holes for the maul and sledge are the same.

Could it just for sledges where no prying is required as in splitting wood?

/ Trouble replacing a maul handle #2  
I think you just got a bad handle.

I have replaced maul and sledge handles and never really paid much attention to whether the handle was intended for one or the other. Like you say, the hole is the same.

/ Trouble replacing a maul handle #3  
Look at the end grain of the handle. The grain should run in the same direction as the head.
If the grain is perpendicular to the head it is weaker and more likely to break, which I think is what is happening to you.

You may need another handle, check the end grain pattern before you get a new one.

Randy

/ Trouble replacing a maul handle
YEp, Yep, got me an ash handle $2 bucks more and works as should, I'll look at that grain direction of the defective handle.

The new one actually has replacement directions. One step is to coat handle part that is inside head with linseed oil for lubrication.

/ Trouble replacing a maul handle #5  
Look at the end grain of the handle. The grain should run in the same direction as the head.
If the grain is perpendicular to the head it is weaker and more likely to break, which I think is what is happening to you.

Remember the days of wooden Baseball bats? When you were supposed to keep the logo in [Up or on the side??? ] so the grain was oriented properly.:D

It didn't really apply to me as I never hit the ball anyway.:eek: