zd 321 & 221

/ zd 321 & 221 #1  

johndeere1kubota2

Tractor
John Deere 990
Good day all. I have the new ZD 321 diesel/ 54". I am happy with all the features but the engine seems to be a little sluggish in 6" bahia mowing, dry grass. It bogs down when you turn and push both control levers forward and you have to let the blades catch up. I looked at the new ZD 221 and it does not have the heavy transmission and weight of the 321. I think the 321 transmission and weight issue hurt the 21 hp diesel engine. Has anyone test drove the zd 221. Thanks.

/ zd 321 & 221 #2  
They did have some horsepower issues with the 321/60 but you have more going on with what you are asking for most to compare with.

We have some customers that were satisfied with the power on that model with the 60" deck although for commercial I do believe it is short on power. A lower height deck would have done fine.

/ zd 321 & 221
Thanks Art. Took my 321 to the dealer monday. They made some adjustments to the mower braking system. Seems there was something causing a drag, resulting in horsepower being robbed from the motor. Got it home and went back to the bahia and it cut like a charm. I am a EMD diesel mechanic by trade, oversea's, and knew the engine should be putting out more torque than it was, before taking it in to the dealer.

/ zd 321 & 221 #4  
I am a new owner of a used zd326. Where is the emergency release to be able to tow the mower?