Garden Rows

/ Garden Rows #1  

2notches

Tractor
Kubota L2800D 4WD
After working the soil, what do you guys use to "make up the rows"?

/ Garden Rows #2  
What kind of equipment do you have? Tiller,tractor,hand plow..I use a JD 2305 with 4' disc harrow with front gangs adjusted straight and rear at an angle.Throws the middles up just right leaving 4' between each row. Of course you can make them narrower by spacing where you drive the tractor in the previous row.This is perfect for me to use my tractor in middles for cultivating.If you are using a tiller such as a Troy Bilt get the furrow attachment for it.I used one in the past and it works great for making rows. If space is a limitation this may not work for everyone, but it does for me as I have ample space for gardening this way...JMHO

/ Garden Rows #3  
A string for straight line and a hoe.[and I got about a 1/2 acre garden],

/ Garden Rows #4  
I had a whole bunch of steel rods or stakes; some were 5/8" rebar and some were old mobile home anchors that I cut up with a cutting torch. They were about 2' long, and I laid out a measuring tape along one side of the garden, drove stakes in the ground at my desired spacing (usually 4' to 5'), then did the same thing on the other side of the garden. I then pulled a string between each pair of stakes; usually doing 4 rows at a time. I spaced my rows wider than normal because I could till between the rows with a B7100 Kubota and RTS40 Bush Hog tiller instead of using a garden hoe. I also left the stakes so I could drag a garden hose down the rows to hand water without dragging the hose over any plants. For some vegetables, such as green beans and blackeyed peas, I planted double rows; i.e., ran the planter down one side of the string and right back up the other side, so in effect had two rows no more than a couple of inches apart.

/ Garden Rows #5  
I use my one row culitvator on my Kubota B7500. I do it a couple ways. Most time I use one outside sweep and since my 'Bota is 48' wide I have that between rows, or whatever I want to space.

I have used all the sweeps too and just picked what rows to use depends upon what I'm planting. For corn I use them all...

My dad used a layoff plow and a horse, or a push plow and string kinda like this one:
High Wheel Cultivator Push Plow Ergonomic Green

One of the last gardens he planted he hooked the layoff plow for his mare (she was with foal at the time) and chained it to his 25 year old 8HP Wheelhorse. I did the drive and he guided the plow (there was no way he'd allowed me to handle the plow!). After the 2nd pass I was about to fall off the little tractor thinking of what folks driving by were saying!
There was a 37 year old man "DRAGGING" his 77 year old father thru the garden with that tractor! Too funny and how I miss my dad.

/ Garden Rows #6  
If you was planting say,a 1/2 acre or so,at a time,yeah,a potato plow or something like that would be good at making furrows and save you back.

But most people plant many different things at different times in less than 1/2 acre,so,if you had a 1/2 acre garden[like me] and you tilled it up good and than made furrows in all of it,well,it would be a waste of time,[for me anyways],just have to do it again when I tilled again and planted corn and beans.

Its at least a month between potato planting and corn planting,with other things in between and other stuff even after corn.

Plus,some things you plant in shallow furrow and some things you plant in deeper furrow.And somethings you plant in a hill of some sort.

I made three stakes out of about 1/2-3/4 steel rod[one for each end and one in center to hold line up] put handles on them for to push into ground,sharpened the ends. Wind the string around the handles on the end ones.

Got a horse tiller to go between rows to weed and to break up ground to hoe,after I till it with my 5 ft kk tractor tiller to begin with.
Make the row spacing about 1 1/2 times horses width[for most things,little wider for viney things.]

/ Garden Rows #7  
I use a Bed Maker that I build and sell locally. I designed it to work on a small Sears type garden tractors that don't have 3pt hitches. It will do in 30 minutes what will take all day with a hoe!
I've got the best and neatest garden I have ever had!

Attachments

• 000_0639.jpg
    000_0639.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 2,980
  • 000_0668.jpg
    000_0668.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 10,515
   / Garden Rows #9  
i am trying something new this year. i'm doing slightly raised beds made just with the tiller and a little hand work. i tilled my rows up with about a foot wide path in between them. the tiller is 54" wide and fluffs up the soil nicely. then i go back with a rake or small shovel and shovel any loose dirt from the foot wide "paths" up onto the raised beds the tiller fluffed up. now i have 54" raised beds with a compacted foot path about a foot wide in between. i get the benefits of raised beds (good drainage) and it's easy to cultivate by hand with a hoe. i don't walk on the beds so there is no compaction in the planting areas and i loose very little garden area to walking paths.

i think it will work out well. time will tell!

amp

/ Garden Rows #10  
Well for all my seed type crops I use a one row "earth way" planter. The best money I ever spent! You can but lots of green beans and corn in the ground in a hurry. For my potatoes I used my 8HP Troy bilt horse and the hiller/furrower attachment to make the trench and then cover the seed pieces up. For raised beds I use the same attachment.
Steve