OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy

/ OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #1  

drivadesl

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-70A, Kubota U-35 Mini-Ex,SCAG Wild Cat, Cub Cadet 109
I've got a light duty pair of LS that I got at home cheapo. They are OK at best, and I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade to something a little heavier duty. Not sure which is best, you've got the type that uses an anvil, where one blade pushes down on the anvil to cut, and the type that cut like scissors, both blades cutting. Some rotate around a single pin, and others have a force mulitplying mechanism to increase cutting power. Not sure how the latter would hold up. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on ones they've used, or can school me on what works best. I'd like to spend less than $75 if thats realistic. Thanks.

/ OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #2  
   / OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #3  
If you go to the thread Does anyone use a machete to clear walking trails?, you'll find it also includes a good bit of discussion about lopping shears. I think jinman was first to mention Fiskars as being very good. I've only got some cheapies myself, but I recently looked at some of the Fiskars at Home Depot, a little more expensive, but well within your stated budget and they looked good to me. I think the force multiplying mechanism will hold up just fine, although I've not owned any myself.

/ OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #4  
As a retired arborist I can vouch for Fiskars, I used them for years and found nothing better.

My second choice are Carona.

/ OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #5  
Fiskers,we use them and abuse them in our landscaping business,haven't found anything better,except fot the bush saw or power saw.

/ OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #6  
Have a loook at this site. I have the mammoth loppers listed and the big "professional"bypass loppers -- both work great and I have had them for quite a while. My wife uses a set of ratcheting fiskars -- I personally don't like them compared to the big leverage of long handles -- JMHO

Lee Valley Tools - Item Search

/ OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #9  
Strange -- all three of the links work for me? -- something not working?
regards

/ OT: Which Loping Shears to Buy #10  
Strange? Yep, I reckon so. The original link took me to the company website, but then I had to use the search function there for "loppers" to see what they had. So I posted a link that works for me to all their loppers, and of course, you can see the two mentioned in the original post, in addition to some others. Now the last link posted takes me directly to the one style. So, yes, all 3 links work for me.