Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #1  

slim

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Held a funeral service last fall for our 46" riding mower. Explored many options for its replacement. 1.) 72" finish mower to pull with New Holland 40hp tractor. 2) Zero turn mower. 3) 48-52" riding mower. Opted for #3. Because the mowing can be done by 14-year old and 12-year old. My wife's doesn't want them running the New Holland. She also wants them to have a lever control hydrostatic compared to pedal control. Feels it is "safer" for them. I am having difficult time finding a new mower that is lever controlled. Any suggestions? For a rider I am willing to spend up to $3,500.
Thanks, Slim

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #2  
I bought a Husqvarna lever controlled hydrostat about 3 years ago. It was the most unsafe piece of equipment I have ever driven. The slightest incline would cause the mower to speed up or slow down, so you had to keep your hand on the lever at all times. That is nearly impossible with a riding mower since there is no power steering and you need both hands on the wheel.

I used it to mow my lawn twice (I gave it the benefit of the doubt and gave it a second chance) and then look it back to Lowe's and traded it for a foot operated one. If you need to speed up or slow down (or stop for that matter), you simply move your foot while keeping both hands on the wheel.

I would never allow kids to drive a lever operated one and I will never own one. They just are not safe compared to the foot operated ones. Your wife is wrong. :D

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #3  
I have a 15 year old (or so) Simplicity Sunstar that I bought used. It is lever controlled and while I am getting used to it, I would prefer foot control. Foot control seems more natural. Of course it may also have something to do with being able to hold on to a cold beverage of your choice and operate the tractor at the same time.:D
Seriously, if you want to keep one hand free to fend off branches or other impediments while the other hand is on the steering wheel, then I would look for a pedal control. Too easy to run out of hands while steering, operating throttle, and fending off branches or bees.
What makes your missus feel that lever control is safer?

Mark

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #4  
Have to agree with previous reply. Have had both kinds of controls on high qlty machines. The foot pedal control I prefer is the one with a rocker pedal. Least liked was the lever control. Pedal control, remove pressure off the pedal and machine comes to a rapid stop. Lever control, keeps on a going until manually returned to neutral position.

Another vote for pedal control.

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #5  
We have both, I hate the lever control one except for one time when I playing a joke on the wife... coming around the corner of the house, push the lever to go and jumped off (no kill switch) and wife was on the porch... the mower drove by her without anyone in the seat... :eek: (mower blades were turned off). Really don't care for that kind of mower. Come to think about it... she never did come around the corner of the house to look for me :(

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #6  
Personally I like the hand lever better. It made transitions from forward to reverse much faster. I dislike the reverse lever on the new Cub I have.

If a hand lever is "running away" it is improperly set. You should be able to set it wherever and speed stay constant. That is the nice thing about them. If you have a lot of mowing to do you set the speed and then all you have to do is steer. No need to push a pedal all day long, like a foot pedal operated machine.

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #7  
Bought my used Wheel Horse 520 hydro with lever control back in 1996. It had a spinner knob on the steering wheel at purchase which I quickly removed thinking what do i need that for? Found out real quick that I needed to keep my right hand on the ready to adjust speed control via the lever which meant steering with one hand. I quickly reinstalled the spinner on the steering wheel and have had no problems since. I can make any kind of turn with that spinner knob using one hand. Having said that, I prefer the foot controls like on the BX, but if you go with a lever model, get a spinner knob for one-handed steering.

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #8  
Hands down (pun intended) I would rather have a foot control. The only time I would not is if I were doing something really bumpy like tilling. With something like snowblowing you turn the wheel, adjust the shoot, control the speed, drink coffee:) Its kinda like a shell game but no one wins:D

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #9  
Held a funeral service last fall for our 46" riding mower. Explored many options for its replacement. 1.) 72" finish mower to pull with New Holland 40hp tractor. 2) Zero turn mower. 3) 48-52" riding mower. Opted for #3. Because the mowing can be done by 14-year old and 12-year old. My wife's doesn't want them running the New Holland. She also wants them to have a lever control hydrostatic compared to pedal control. Feels it is "safer" for them. I am having difficult time finding a new mower that is lever controlled. Any suggestions? For a rider I am willing to spend up to $3,500.
Thanks, Slim

Slim,
Why does she think the lever is better/safer?

/ Lever Hydro vs. Pedal Hydro #10  
Hey Slim I have a Gravely 812 that has a hand lever and runs great. If you would be interested I might sell it. I always liked the hand lever on it. My wife wants it out of the garage, says I have too much stuff! Ha Ha! Anyway its a great tractor. Good Luck!:D