Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows #1  

nunyabinis

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere
I've always been confused about when to plant "on the Flat", "Raised" or "Furrows".

What's the difference and function of the three different methods? Are the different methods used in different soil types or are the different methods used depending on what you're planting?

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows #2  
Well,different people plant different ways is probably right answer.

But,I plant tators in deep furrow,plant corn/beans in shallow furrow,plant cuc's,squash,sweet tators,melons,in a raised bed[make it by just pulling up dirt on top of furrow.

Now flat furrow,never heard of it,plant greens in fall on flat tilled ground though.

As far as raised or hills,probably no need of it in regular type garden,but tators need to be planted a certain depth as does corn and beans.

I know you can make your hills or raised beds to high if you are planning on mother nature watering it for you,it dries out faster.

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows
I normally till my garden as level as I can get it then use an Earthway Seeder to plant my corn, beans, etc...

Earthway Precision Garden Seeder - Earthway Outlet

The seeder works best on dead-level ground. That's why I call it planting "on the level". Been using this method for years but am now wondering if I'm doing it "wrong".

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows #4  
I'm interested in this also, but have nothing to offer other than I'll put my Blue Merle against your Bluetick in a dead heat! haha

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows #6  
Just realized how bad of a father I am, I don't have any pictures of the dogs on my work computer.. I'll get on it tonight!

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows #7  
If it grows,you ain't doing it wrong.

Now back to dogs,was raised around blue ticks,we always had one.

But my favorite blue tick was only half blue tick,I was looking for a dog many years ago,and saw an ad in paper for half doberman and have blue tick puppies,went and picked out a male,mother was a doberman,daddy a blue tick,both pure bred,[coon hound had got in the barn where doberman was locked up to prevent this,they was giving them away].

He had his tail docked but his ears were left alone,just looked like a doberman but had blue ticks on his chest and feet/legs,big dog,real big dog.

That dog was fast,he wouldn't chase cars,he would race them,broke my windshield one time by racing ahead of me on gravel road and kicking up a rock,[no lie].

Never taught him to coon hunt,but he was heck on ground hogs,one shake and they was dead,no fight to it.

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows
That dog was fast,he wouldn't chase cars,he would race them,broke my windshield one time by racing ahead of me on gravel road and kicking up a rock,[no lie].

Oh, I believe you. Mine is a pure bred 75lb female. She LOVES to race my ATV. She's hit 35mph before in a race around the back forty. I take her "rabbit running" every night with the ATV to burn off her energy so I can sleep at night!!! If you ask her "You wanna run rabbits?", she'll trample you on the way to the backdoor.

She is Death itself on squirrels. If she barks treed, there IS A SQUIRREL IN THAT TREE. Look long enough and you WILL find it.

I also use her as a Dead Deer Dog down at the Hunt Club. If a member wounds a deer we put her on the track. Haven't lost one yet.

/ Flat Rows vs Raised Rows vs Furrowed Rows #10  
From what I have read and experienced much of how you plant has to do with where you live. If your spring and summers tend to be wet and warm up late then a raised row allows for better drainage and the ground will get to germination temps sooner. Given that your in S. Cal that may not be an issue compared to Vermont.

Good question and I will look forward to what others have to say.

MarkV