Dixie Chopper Xcaliber vs Ferris IS 5100Z

/ Dixie Chopper Xcaliber vs Ferris IS 5100Z #1  

Crisswell

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 48DA
Hi all

It's been a few years since I've posted here, but have been watching some from afar as issues have come up. I'm not much of an expert on anything, but find the information available here to be great!

I have something now, though, that I'd like to get some expert opinions on and hope you can help.

First a little background. I have 21 acres that we bought from a farmer. It's a combination of lawn (about 8 acres around the house) and the rest is tillable. In fact, the farmer we bought the land from continues to farm and maintain the other 13 acres. As it's evolved, we own it for privacy and he plants produce for his farm market and takes care of bush hogging, etc, when needed. Works for everyone.

When we bought the land in '05, I had no previous experience with having this much property and was anticipating all kinds of equipment needs. I read here about all the guys who "under bought" when they purchased their machines. So I bought brand new equipment - a New Holland 4X4 TC48DA with an 18LA FEL with pallet forks to swap with the bucket when necessary, a Land Pride 90" rear finish mower, a Woods 84" medium duty bush hog and 84" box blade and assorted related things. Right after moving in, I also picked up a JD X748 4X4 lawn tractor thinking that between the two, I could cover whatever came up. I thought the NH would get the most use and the JD would there for close trimming and back-up. But as it turns out, the NH is just too big for close trimming around the new landscaping and is too heavy in the spring and fall and other wet periods to use. Puts even more ruts into the turf and/or tears out the grass on turns.

With the addition of landscaping, the JD is getting all the lawn mowing duties and NH sits and collects dust in the pole building most of the time (101 hours in 3 years, most of which was the first year!). The JD does a nice job of cutting but only does about 2 acres an hour at top speed and with trimming around trees, flower beds etc. it takes a good 4.5 hours to mow. There's lots of reidual ruts from farming and lawn installation. My back and knees are taking a beating (56 and 6'4" tall). If I start daydreaming, I can get lifted 6 inches off the seat only to be slammed back into it again. No injuries yet, but as the years go on, who knows.

Anyway, I've decided to sell off the NH and attachments and am considering going to a ZTR both for speed and ride/rider comfort. I've just started the search and am interested in checking out the Dixie Chopper Xcaliber and the Ferris IS 5100Z. On paper, the features of the Ferris are more attractive to me. Coil over suspension for bumps should result in a smoother ride over spring loaded dampners on the DC, but as I say, I'm no expert. Also, the CAT diesel is a bonus, imo.

I'm in no hurry. I'm not doing anything until the NH and attachments are sold, which I anticipate taking awhile. So I want to use the time to research diesel ZTR's so I get the best combination of durability, reliability and operator comfort (ride and rider comfort for someone my size/age). I don't want to screw up the purchase again! Equipment is way too expensive to get it wrong again!

Any information on these two diesel ZTR's or others that may be comparable would be most appreciated. It would be great to hear about actual ownership experiences.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

/ Dixie Chopper Xcaliber vs Ferris IS 5100Z #2  
both have excellent reputations and you'll hear people take sides on both..

however, being that you are emphasizing comfort, i'd go with the ferris....

there was a very low hour, used diesel ferris on craigslist ohio just a few days ago.....great deal!

uh, keep the tractor- being that you have land- and buy a used ztr......there were some great deals on some 300 hr diesel exmarks on there the other day too....

the hit you are going to take on all of the equipment, would buy a used ztr.....

i'm sure the cat diesel in the ferris top notch but you can't go wrong with either machine....

/ Dixie Chopper Xcaliber vs Ferris IS 5100Z #3  
Get the suspension of the Ferris. My good friend just got a Ferris and the suspension is the single greatest upgrade he made going from the other ZTR he had (cub cadet). He can mow at almost full speed even on imperfect ground.

/ Dixie Chopper Xcaliber vs Ferris IS 5100Z #4  
You shouldn't miss looking at the Kubota ZD-331-72 for your mowing needs!

/ Dixie Chopper Xcaliber vs Ferris IS 5100Z
Thanks for the advice! It's appreciated. No way I can swing the new ztr until the equipment I have now is sold.

I've never used a ztr before, so I'm in for a new learning curve. One simpler to operate than the other? Hopefully, the shrubs and small trees will still be in the same places in a couple years! :D

Does one of these mowers cut better than the other? Are parts availability a problem?

Thanks again.

ps I'll check out the Kubota, too.

/ Dixie Chopper Xcaliber vs Ferris IS 5100Z #6  
I bought the Ferris 4500 diesel and the suspension provides a superb ride over my Very rough terrain. That is the main reason I bought it and am 100% satisfied.

The only drawback to the diesel is it is heavy, and leaves tire tracks (flattened grass) that remains visible for > 1 week. If the soil was fully saturated I think it might even sink in a little. I mow in opposing cross-hatch directions each week so it ends up looking "professional".

Any ZTR will tear up the grass if you rotate 180 degrees with one wheel stationary.

The cut quality is very good but other professional ZTR's might have a slight "edge". However, compared to my previous garden tractor, the blade speed is +2x and there are absolutely no clippings, they just disappear regardless of ground speed! Very nice.

The ZTR w/suspension is a bit spooky on side hills/berms > 20 degrees, not recommended but so far ok.

Heavy duty construction, durability and the diesel result in a heavy, sturdy, well built machine. The suspension is truely phenomenal, I highly recommend the Ferris for that reason.