Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040HD

Default Mower suggestions?

My 11 year old MTD has bit the dust. It was 46" cut hydrostatic. What would you suggest to replace it? Needs to be less than $2000 for sure.
    Last edited by tom4018; 04-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Default Re: Mower suggestions?

Your not giving your self much to work with. Most mowers are getting used for parts when they hit the $200 mark. I suggest your local craigs list. You may find a bargain in there. Maybe an old craftsman or mtd,murry ect.
    S_G

Remember nobody ever complained about having too much horsepower!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040HD

Quote Originally Posted by shot_gun View Post
    Your not giving your self much to work with. Most mowers are getting used for parts when they hit the $200 mark. I suggest your local craigs list. You may find a bargain in there. Maybe an old craftsman or mtd,murry ect.
    Guess I made a typo there, I changed it to $2000.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    century 2535

I'm finding plenty on craigslist in my area, but having trouble getting the posters to reply to email or return calls.
    lots of JD, Cub Cadet, and the occasional Wheel Horse under $2k.

good luck!
    Erik
    Mahindra 3510, box blade, pallet forks, 6' KK mower...

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by tom4018 View Post
    My 11 year old MTD has bit the dust. It was 46" cut hydrostatic. What would you suggest to replace it? Needs to be less than $2000 for sure.
    Last year I bought a JD LA145 for $1,999. It now has 45 hours and has been a great little mower. Go look at the JD at Lowes or a JD dealer. You will most likely be able to get 1 or 2 years interest free. This month, I just sent JD a check for the full amount, but paid no interest for the previous 12 months. After tax, the total came to $2,123. That seems to fit your requirements.

The thing I like most about the JD is the plastic hood and how everything on the engine is easy to get to with the hood raised. Also the deck is very easy to remove and has grease zerks on the spindles. The mower has other very nice features, but those are my favorites.
    Jim

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    The thing I like most about the JD is the plastic hood and how everything on the engine is easy to get to with the hood raised. Also the deck is very easy to remove and has grease zerks on the spindles. The mower has other very nice features, but those are my favorites.
    It's actually suprising they have grease zerks on them.

Most mowers dont and I add them. I have and older JD 240 that has been in the family since new in 1989(great little kawasaki motor). I just rebuilt the deck and it didn't have a single grease fitting anywhere. New bushings on the pivot for the tensioner and I added a fitting there. I also added fittings for the spindles while I had them apart doing the bearings.

My father bought a brand new bobcat ZTR 6-years ago. It came with a 3yr warrenty and after 2 years the bearing in the spindles were shot. Got new spindles under warrenty and requested to install them ourselves. First thing we did was take the shaft and drill it for grease zerks and then pop the inner seals out of the bearings. 4years and the bearings are still good.

Whatever you get, just make sure you take care of the deck. Keep it clean and paint the underside every winter to keep it from rusting and grease everything. And change the oil every year and it should last a lotta years.

BTW what exactally went wrong with the old mower???
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//CAT 312B//Komatsu D38

For an everyday mower I'd get a used late year Cub Cadet, either 3000, 2500, or 2000 series in that order. I've had several 3000 series and love em. Also had 2000's and they're good, but I got spoiled with hydraulic lift and PS. Haven't owned a 2500, but it's the newer version of the 2000 series and reportedly very good as well. Good luck!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040HD

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post

BTW what exactally went wrong with the old mower???

Valve seat came out of the block.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

If everything else works fine on the mower, have you thought about just replacing the motor? How many HP and what model is the engine. Just a quick glance at northerntool at the B&S, techumseh, honda, and kohler verticals between 15-18hp they run $500-800. Might be able to find cheaper elsewhere.

You don't list where you are located but here in north central ohio Glenns Surplus in Shelby is where I would send you.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Silver Member
    Tractor
    M9540DTC

Tom- I was in the same boat. After doing a lot of research, I bought the Husqvarna YTH20K46 at Lowes for $1600. It's 20hp Kohler engine, 46" cut and hydrostatic drive. It's just the basic mower but it doing a great job in the 6 hours I have put on it. Internet reviews indicate it's been a problem free mower for those who have used them for 2 or 3 years. The high back adjustable seat is very nice on my back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast