Mower suggestions?

/ Mower suggestions? #1  

tom4018

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
My 11 year old MTD has bit the dust. It was 46" cut hydrostatic. What would you suggest to replace it? Needs to be less than $2000 for sure.

Last edited:
   / Mower suggestions? #2  
Your not giving your self much to work with. Most mowers are getting used for parts when they hit the $200 mark. I suggest your local craigs list. You may find a bargain in there. Maybe an old craftsman or mtd,murry ect.

/ Mower suggestions?
Your not giving your self much to work with. Most mowers are getting used for parts when they hit the $200 mark. I suggest your local craigs list. You may find a bargain in there. Maybe an old craftsman or mtd,murry ect.

Guess I made a typo there, I changed it to $2000.

/ Mower suggestions? #4  
I'm finding plenty on craigslist in my area, but having trouble getting the posters to reply to email or return calls.
lots of JD, Cub Cadet, and the occasional Wheel Horse under $2k.

good luck!

/ Mower suggestions? #5  
My 11 year old MTD has bit the dust. It was 46" cut hydrostatic. What would you suggest to replace it? Needs to be less than $2000 for sure.

Last year I bought a JD LA145 for $1,999. It now has 45 hours and has been a great little mower. Go look at the JD at Lowes or a JD dealer. You will most likely be able to get 1 or 2 years interest free. This month, I just sent JD a check for the full amount, but paid no interest for the previous 12 months. After tax, the total came to $2,123. That seems to fit your requirements.

The thing I like most about the JD is the plastic hood and how everything on the engine is easy to get to with the hood raised. Also the deck is very easy to remove and has grease zerks on the spindles. The mower has other very nice features, but those are my favorites.

/ Mower suggestions? #6  
The thing I like most about the JD is the plastic hood and how everything on the engine is easy to get to with the hood raised. Also the deck is very easy to remove and has grease zerks on the spindles. The mower has other very nice features, but those are my favorites.

It's actually suprising they have grease zerks on them.

Most mowers dont and I add them. I have and older JD 240 that has been in the family since new in 1989(great little kawasaki motor). I just rebuilt the deck and it didn't have a single grease fitting anywhere. New bushings on the pivot for the tensioner and I added a fitting there. I also added fittings for the spindles while I had them apart doing the bearings.

My father bought a brand new bobcat ZTR 6-years ago. It came with a 3yr warrenty and after 2 years the bearing in the spindles were shot. Got new spindles under warrenty and requested to install them ourselves. First thing we did was take the shaft and drill it for grease zerks and then pop the inner seals out of the bearings. 4years and the bearings are still good.

Whatever you get, just make sure you take care of the deck. Keep it clean and paint the underside every winter to keep it from rusting and grease everything. And change the oil every year and it should last a lotta years.

BTW what exactally went wrong with the old mower???

/ Mower suggestions? #7  
For an everyday mower I'd get a used late year Cub Cadet, either 3000, 2500, or 2000 series in that order. I've had several 3000 series and love em. Also had 2000's and they're good, but I got spoiled with hydraulic lift and PS. Haven't owned a 2500, but it's the newer version of the 2000 series and reportedly very good as well. Good luck!

/ Mower suggestions? #9  
If everything else works fine on the mower, have you thought about just replacing the motor? How many HP and what model is the engine. Just a quick glance at northerntool at the B&S, techumseh, honda, and kohler verticals between 15-18hp they run $500-800. Might be able to find cheaper elsewhere.

You don't list where you are located but here in north central ohio Glenns Surplus in Shelby is where I would send you.

/ Mower suggestions? #10  
Tom- I was in the same boat. After doing a lot of research, I bought the Husqvarna YTH20K46 at Lowes for $1600. It's 20hp Kohler engine, 46" cut and hydrostatic drive. It's just the basic mower but it doing a great job in the 6 hours I have put on it. Internet reviews indicate it's been a problem free mower for those who have used them for 2 or 3 years. The high back adjustable seat is very nice on my back.