How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #1  

redstatedog

Despite cleaning after each use and before winter storage, the roller pump on my Fimco sprayer is locked up. Any suggestions how to losen it up and get it working again?

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #2  
You can try pouring oil into the ports and working with a wrench, if that does not work you can take the end plate off and try getting the rollers loose. If it is too far gone get a rebuild kit with rollers and seals and press shaft out if it is a Hypro pump and replace everything and then break it in. I put cam lock couplers on all my pumps and disconect them from my Fimco 3 point sprayer after each use and fill with oil and place plugs inn the ports.

David Kb7uns

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #3  
I use anti-freeze in my pump after each use to keep it from rusting.

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #4  
Last fall I had my fimco sprayer (5 gallon pull around type) suddenly stop as I was spraying. I checked electrically and it was okay. I just put it indoors for the winter and haven't had the ambition to fix it.
I wonder what it might be. Electrical causes are out as I was using it at the time. And I doubt that it was rollers locked up. Do these pumps have brushes?

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #5  
Roller pumps are usually PTO driven. Small pull sprayers have electricaly driven diaphram pumps.

David Kb7uns

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #6  
You can try pouring oil into the ports and working with a wrench, if that does not work you can take the end plate off and try getting the rollers loose. If it is too far gone get a rebuild kit with rollers and seals and press shaft out if it is a Hypro pump and replace everything and then break it in. I put cam lock couplers on all my pumps and disconect them from my Fimco 3 point sprayer after each use and fill with oil and place plugs inn the ports.

David Kb7uns

I'm lucky enough to have a PTO on my Jeep and I used it instead of a vice (just easier to get to). I sprayed PB Blaster in the ports and then used a pipe wrench on the body to break it free. I was pretty careful not to put too much pressure, but tried moving it back and forth. It popped free.

I had filled it with oil before storing, but still got some light rust. I now remove the hoses and fill it with antifreeze and plug it.

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #7  
Sometimes simply loosening all four bolts on the end plate or housing will allow you to turn the pump by hand and get it freed up. On the other hand, I've also taken them completely apart and cleaned everything in the sand blast cabinet using glass beads instead of sand. They work great then.:D

/ How to loosen frozen roller pump on Fimco Sprayer #8  
I let my hypro roller pump sit for a few years without using it. Couldn't turn it this spring. Filled it with a little diesel fuel. Let it sit for a day. Put it on the pto shaft to hold it and then rotated the pump by hand to free it. Didn't take too much effort to loosen it.