Zero Turn Mowers Again

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again #1  

swinn5567

I have been away for awhile after I finally purchased a Mahindra and some Dale Phillips equipment. They were great purchases. I am now looking at a zero turn mower. I have gone back to the dealer where I got my tractor. He sells Hustlers. I want something tough to mow 3-10 acres of kind of rocky, bouncy Texas grass. I like them because he sells tough equipment to match our conditions.

I read on here about a new Bad Boy that was leaking fluid after one use. I was at a Bad Boy dealer looking at mowers and there was a new model lined up with a low tire and a fluid leak down around the right tire. Maybe there is some issue there. A Bad Boy at TSC got me thinking zero turn and taking mowing to a new level. I liked the look and feel of the BDs but don't want agrivating problems that make me feel like I bought the wrong one.

My JD dealer told me the ZTR 445 has been a real reliable mower for them and they have seen very few problems with them. That mower is a little less heavy duty than the lower end commercial Hustlers I have been looking at but some what cheaper.

Any more comments or opinions about mowers, I would love to read them. You never can get enough opinions before you make the purchase.

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again #2  
It's not what I have, but if lots of uneven mowing was what I to do - Ferris is a machine you should get a look at. My limited hands on experience (Kubota, Dixie Chopper, Bobcat, Walker, Deere) has been with all solid machines - none w/ suspension as Ferris and maybe some others have. But I can say none of the above units is going to be able to mow over uneven ground at anywhere near max speed. Good luck in your search !

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again #3  
Hustler has a good reputation. They are solid machines. As stated the Ferris has integrated suspension which does smooth out the ride a lot. I do not know what price range you are looking into, but I would shy away from any "homeowner" level machine for the amount and type mowing you are going to do. The wheel motors and bearings, etc are not able to stand up to heavy duty frequent mowing. One is much better off getting a machine that is a bit larger and more heavy duty in this type mower as they do last longer. ZTR's are popular these days and it seems everyone is trying to get into the act. I do not wish to offend anyone with a Bad Boy mower, but I would avoid any company that does not readily come to mind when thinking commercial mower. Bad Boy's may be just fine, but I bet they do not have the strong parts and dealer support as the larger companies. Not that reputation means that much but the mowers that have the top reps in my area are (not in any specific order): ExMark, Gravely, John Deere, Grasshopper, Scag, Kubota. Ferris, Bobcat and Toro also have good names (I would put Hustler in this group) but are not as plentiful. If you average out what the commercial guys use and focus on these machines you will be OK. Fluff does not last long in the commercial cutting world.

John M

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again
I greatly appreciate the time you take to answer questions or give input/opinion. Thanks sincerely. I was also considering a rear discharge. Hustler states the benefits as two sides for close cutting, more efficient, less horsepower, and safer les debris thrown. I have broken a window before so that would be a big plus. Anyone experience with rear discharge?

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again #5  
Saw a Bad Boy at TSC couple days ago. Front frame holding the front tire was bent. Both grease caps on front tires gone. Probably damaged in unloading?.but I wouldn稚 have had the thing sitting there like that. Was an immediate turn off to durability.

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again #6  
My understanding is that the BadBoy's at TSC are spec'd for TSC's price point, are only available at TSC and are not representative of the BB line. I have read some very favorable reports on the commercial BB's. Hustler makes a good mower, they also have an option for 'flex forks' that replace the forks on the front casters that are suppose to really help smooth out the ride. I believe you will find that a Hustler with flex forks and suspension seat will be about as smooth as a Ferris for less money.

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again #7  
As a Hustler owner I would recommend it. I am using a walk behind ZTR mower with a sulky on rough WV hills. I went with a standing because with our steep hills if something goes wrong there is no time to get off (or out) of a regular ZTR. It is built SOLID! It seems that it will last me a LONG LONG time since I am not using it in a commercial setting. I looked at all the major mowers and for the price it seemed to be the best value. There are a LOT out there that are cheaper but look at the motor, frame and spindles and see what meets your needs.

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again
What about used mowers?
Looking through Craigslist for my area there are some nice looking used machines. Funny thing about considering used equipment. I am confident and satisfied with the equipment I own but if I was looking at the same stuff to buy used I probably would pass on it.

Any comments on used comercial quality mowers?

/ Zero Turn Mowers Again
Well I slept on it and have decided this. I love reading about all this equipment and researching it but have come up with this....

This year due to how things worked out we had to pay a really big tax bill. We usually get a couple thousand back. So that took away a good little bit of spending money so I wrote off getting a big time mower this year. I have to admit all the special factory incentives and financing deals really tempted me. But to be honest I really don't have the cash to go out and spend 6-8 thousand dollars on a mower.

I'll just wait till next year, sell some equipment, save some money and see how things work out then. Maybe the government took my money and bought a great mower to cut some park in Washington DC, California or New York.

Anyway, loved it and I'm going to stop teasing myself. All the best and have a great year.

Last edited: