Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers?

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #1  

Mike_S

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4400HST
Am considering a new commercial ZTR rider and have been observing what brands of ZTR are most often found on trailers of commercial lawn care companies in my area south of metropolitan Kansas City -- I found in no particular order, that most often I see Hustler, JD, Scag, Grasshopper and Exmark and a number of the JD's were 997 diesels. I have never seen a Kubota commercial ZTR on a lawn care company trailer around here -- any ideas as to why? I have an interest in a Kubota diesel ZTR but am concerned that if the commercial lawn care companies avoid them, there must be some reasons.

MikeSp

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #2  
I see them around here all the time. I can't say they are the most common, but I do see them.

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #3  
Not sure I have seen many on lawn care trailers around here but lot of the big boys are running enclosed trailers and trucks in the lawn care business so have no idea what they are hauling. More than the trailers why not ask for some who have bought any brand you desire and talk with them? Has Kubota had commercial ZTRs as long as the other brands you mentioned?

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #4  
My local Kubota dealer is the largest in the state, I don't remember seeing a Kubota ZTR on their lot last time I was there, but he does have Walker mowers. From reviews I have read on other web sites. The Kubota ZTR is heavy, sits high, doesn't feel as nimble as others, not the best cut and tends to be expensive. I have also read reviews of folks that LOVE them and wouldn't give them up for anything. They do seem to be about bullet proof. Part of it seems to depend on what type of grass you are cutting and how open the area is that is being mowed.
Clear as mud... I though so.
You might want to ask the question on Lawnsite.com in the commercial forums.

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers?
Am considering a new commercial ZTR rider and have been observing what brands of ZTR are most often found on trailers of commercial lawn care companies in my area south of metropolitan Kansas City -- I found in no particular order, that most often I see Hustler, JD, Scag, Grasshopper and Exmark and a number of the JD's were 997 diesels. I have never seen a Kubota commercial ZTR on a lawn care company trailer around here -- any ideas as to why? I have an interest in a Kubota diesel ZTR but am concerned that if the commercial lawn care companies avoid them, there must be some reasons.

MikeSp

Let me qualify the above and limit it to the ZD series and not the F series. The F series is in a league of its own. The ZD series should compare in capability and size and price to the brands that I mentioned in my posting above for those that are diesel.

MikeSp

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #6  
I don't mow commercially, but I have a Kubota ZD 326. I really like it. It cuts tall grass with ease. I put mulching blades on it and it is even better. It is a well built unit. I had a tractor and rear discharge mower before , so I really can't compare it to any other brand ZTR

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #8  
When I was researching them I found the Kubota blade tip speeds to be slower than the other main brands. And the prices were high. I also read about hydro problems on them. But I looked at a diesel model at an auction and really liked the looks of it. It had 1300 hours and brought $5500. So I guess they also hold their value.

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #9  
I have loved them and see them often in the Augusta Ga. area. Most people love them so much that quite possibly they keep them to themselves. LOL
The guys that maintain our area use them but like mentioned earlier they use enclosed trailers.

/ Why no commercial Kubota ZTR's on lawncare trailers? #10  
I looked at the Kubota gas models and really wanted one just because of the Kubota name. It was hard to find any real support for them with those who cut grass for a living, especially over at www.lawnsite.com I spoke with the mechanic at Kubota and he denied that there was any problems with the drive motors, but he then showed me one that he was repairing. He said the problem was the two inch ball mounted to the back of it, and that towing with them is what causes all the problems. I don't know what was towed with that mower, or if it was allot of weight, or a plastic garden trailer. I did get the feeling that there was a problem with the drive motors and the mechanic was trying to convince me there wasn't, even though he had worked on quite a few of them.

I see Scag and Exmark the most out mowing lawns by the pros. I see a few other brands, but those two seem to be the most common around here. I liked them both, but went with the Scag Wildcat with the water cooled 26hp Kawasaki gas engine for my place. I only put 120 hours on it last year and will probably put 200 hours on it this year.

My dealer sells Scag, Toro, Cub Cadet, Echo and Stihl. This is all he does, while the Exmark dealer is also an Ace Hardware store. Of the other brands, it was a mix of which ones were true dealers that fix and supply their equipment compared to those who just sell them and then tell you who to go to for repairs. JD and Kubota are both good dealers here, but I didn't think that either compared to the Scag.

If you want the Kubota, then go for it, but if you are looking for the best mower out there, I'd forget about brands and look at all of them before deciding.

Good Luck,
Eddie