Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there....

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #1  

bx24d

Silver Member
I'd like to hear opinions/experiences on the best high-wheel, push lawn mowers out there. I mow most of my property with a tractor but have several hilly and irregular areas where a push mower is just easier and safer no matter what else I try. I haven't bought a push mower for some time and don't even know the players anymore.

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #2  
I've gone through plenty of push mowers and the only real thing I look for now is a Briggs and Straton motor. It's the only motor I haven't had problems with and one of my 10-yr old push mowers still starts every time. My Tecumseh died within 1 year and I put a B&S on it from another mower that rotted out.

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #3  
Just picked up a Troy-Bilt 340 XP a couple weeks ago. It's a self-propelled high-wheeler that I use for some hilly places on my property. As I've gotten older, those places seem to be higher/steeper.. :(It's worked pretty well the few times I've used it.

It has a B&S "premium" 7.75 rated torque engine; don't know how "premium" it is, but B&S makes pretty good engines. ;)

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #4  
Honda engines are far superior to B&S or Techumseh

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #5  
   / Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #6  
* guarantee is only for 2 years.

I have had my honda powered lawnmower for more than 10 years. Still starts on the first pull.

The company I work for also supplies to both Honda outdoor power and B&S. Also Kohler, Tecumseh (until they folded) and lots of lesser known brands.

There is no comparison between Honda engines and the rest. I stand by the Far superior" comment. They are quieter, longer lasting, more reliable.

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #7  
Just picked up a Troy-Bilt 340 XP a couple weeks ago. It's a self-propelled high-wheeler that I use for some hilly places on my property. As I've gotten older, those places seem to be higher/steeper.. :(It's worked pretty well the few times I've used it.

It has a B&S "premium" 7.75 rated torque engine; don't know how "premium" it is, but B&S makes pretty good engines. ;)

I have something similar to this but older version - TB 542 Walk-Behind Push Mower and Other Lawn Mowers from Troy-Bilt
I picked it up from Lowes about four years ago. I change the oil and paper air filter every spring and it still starts on one pull. I paid under $200 for it but I know they have gone up in price. If you don't mind the exercise they work great. I am mowing about 3/4 acre with mine.

Looks like Lowes even has a Honda powered version now but mine has a Briggs - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=97712-270-TB120&lpage=none

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #8  
I know Honda makes good engines (I've had 3 Honda motorcycles myself), and perhaps they're "far superior" to Briggs & Stratton, although I don't know just how you go about rating small engines. I've had a number of Briggs & Stratton engines and so far the only "repairs" have been to replace a carburetor. My current Toro with a B&S engine is only a little over 2 years old. I figure about 112 hours on it and I sharpened the blade yesterday. I even thought about pulling the spark plug, but since it still starts easily and runs well, I decided to leave well enough alone. I have replaced the air filter once and blew a little dust and debris off of it several times. I did an initial oil change at about 5 hours and then every 50 hours (twice more so far). I'm not qualified to say whether the B&S is as good, better, or worse than a Honda, but I guess as long as they run trouble free, I don't mind using them.;)

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #9  
Is there a specific reason for the big wheel mower? I have a Honda HRS2163SDC. Ive had it for almost 8 years.

Ita a no frills machine (just self propell) and its been great. Starts first pull. Even after winter. Never a problem. Heck all my Hondas are like that (snowblower, trimmer, 4 wheeler, generator) you get the idea!!!

Only issue its the deck has rusted, That was partly my fault for not washing it. This year i cleaned it up and painted it with POR 15. It should be good for another 8 years.

Only thing i would do different would be get one of the new honda with plastic deck and varriable speed.. no more rust.

My chipper has a new briggs OHV on it, its good, but its no Honda.

/ Best high-wheel push lawn mower out there.... #10  
push mowers are junk, high wheel push mowers are even a bigger waste of time. save a bit of money and get a used walk behind.. im sure you could find a 36 inch belt drive for a reasonable ammount of money, and youll never have to worry about anything then.

make sure you get somethign with a cast iron sleeve. anything else, i.e. all of B&S engines on pushmowers, youll be wishing you hadnt if you actually use it quite a bit.

sorry to be blunt, but i own a lawn business, have a wonderful john deere push mower, and i use it 0 hours a week. i cut all sorts of yards all sizes and shapes with fences and what not.

youll spend what 300 to 400 for a nice self propelled push mower? throw a couple more on it and you got a used walk behind, much more heavy duty.