**EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Let me first start off by saying that I do NOT work for Exmark, I do NOT sell Exmark mowers (or any mowers for that matter), and I am NOT being paid by Exmark OR ANY Exmark dealer, to type this message. Now that thats out the way, here is my one year and 3 month experience.
I purchased my new 08' Exmark Quest on 3/8/08 for $4,905.00 tax included. It is the 52" cut model with the 24 hp Briggs ELS (extended life series) engine. Today is 6/6/09, wich makes it 2 days short of being 1 year and 3 months old. It has 20.1 hours on the meter. I have changed the engine oil once since I have had it.

People, let me tell ya'. This mower has been one of the best investments I have ever spent my money on. The whole family and I absolutely love it. I have not had a second's worth of trouble out of it. Its fast, and does a perfect job cutting, in my book. I have gotten SO MANY compliments from people saying, " Son, your paw-paw's yard looks so good!" I am honest and tell them that its not me- its my lawn mower. This is no joke at all.

Everything has its pros and cons. I thought about selling it about 4 or 5 months ago, but have decided to go ahead and keep it. Its too good of a mower, and the best part about it is that its paid for.

First, I found the seat and operator area alittle small, but have went on a diet and almost got that problem solved.
Second, the air filter system is too small (gotta clean the filter much more frequently) but have purchased a second spare air filter so i can just switch it out when the one currently installed gets too dirty.
BUT...Exmark or Briggs & Stratton definately needs to make a kit to install the "canister type" air filtration system like you see on the commercial ztr mowers. I think some canister type systems may be manufactured by "Donaldson(??)" I'D TRY TO BE THE FIRST TO PURCHASE ONE!

Today, I purchased the Exmark mulching kit from a local Exmark dealer (whom I really like- but didn't purchase my mower from and wish I would have). It costed me $215.xx with tax and came with blades, baffles, nuts, bolts, and instructions. I will put it on tomorrow and let you know how it cuts with the new mulching kit.

With the new mulching kit, I have $5,120.00 in the mower. Besides the air filter system, I couldn't be happier.

I hope this has helped anyone thinking about buying an Exmark Quest ztr mower. You won't go wrong.

Travis R

Last edited:
   / **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update #2  
Travis, just wondering how much ground you mow with your new Exmark? Also is your property smooth or bumpy? Just curious if the ride is ok or if you're beat to death with your mower. Glad you are happy with your mower.

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update
I mow alittle under 2.5 acres with my mower, but will be adding much more to that in the near future. The land I mow is definately bumby and very un-level with about 18 large pine trees and about 14 bushes, along with a small garden. I find the ride very comfortable but Im only 24 years old and have been riding a Snapper rear engine rider for the past 15 years. With the new Quest, it takes me exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes to cut if everything in the yard is picked up (water hoses, limbs, etc...) That is going as fast as it will go and not stopping for anything. The time is accurate because I have timed it twice.

It used to take half a day to cut with the Snapper rear engine rider (30 in cut, 11 hp engine). That thing lasted Many, Many years and was definately a beast, and was sure to cut the grass but it was SO time consuming. I just hope my Exmark will last as long, or longer than the Snapper. From the looks of it, I don't think Im gonna have to worry about that.

Someone asked me in another post about how my Quest does on cutting ditches. I can't comment on that because I don't have any ditches or ditch banks to cut.

All I can say is that I am a well satisfied customer (besides the air filtration system on the engine). A neighbor even went and bought a new Exmark! He didn't get the Quest though. He got a smaller, but more commercial model only to use at his home, just like me. When I purchased mine I didn't even consider another brand. I knew I wanted an Exmark- just didn't know what model.
The Only regret I have about purchasing my Quest is the dealer I purchased it from.

I used the mower today with the new mulching kit installed and keep asking myself why in the world I didn't purchase the mulch kit the same day I bought the mower! I'll Never take it off and go back to discharging the grass clippings from the side.

Any questions you may have, just ask and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Travis R

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update #4  
Thats a good report, but only 20 hours in 15 months? We're mowing probably 12 acres but our 13 month old commercial Scag ZTR has 173 hours!! I sharpen blades every 20 hours or so. We started the season with 140 or so hours I think.

That mower is giving you quality of life.

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update #6  
Mow a cemetery around 1.5 acres with an '03 exmark 60" purchased new. It has the canister filter that is a lot better. only 130 hours on it. Replaced 2 front tires, blade engagement switch, blades, blade belt. Routine maintenance only. Went from 5-7 hours with a 38" john deere conventional rider down to 1.5 hours or less with the exmark. I have been toying with the notion of buying an '08 before they are all gone for my personal use, but $7000 or so....

I also ABSOLUTELY love this mower! It can beat you up when going full speed and with tires aired up. I generally decrease the air pressure significantly. Got it back from the shop once and some NN employee aired them up to 40 psi. He should've read the manual...

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update
I agree, 20 hours on my mower is not any hours to be 15 months old. But...I said I was going to give an update on my experience with it after I had it a while.

I have sharpened the blades once since I have had it. But now that I have the mulching kit, I'll have to get me a spare set of mulching blades. Im going to see if the dealer will take the new 'original' spare blades back in exchange for the extra set of mulching blades. The spare blades have never been put on the mower.

I run 13 psi of air pressure in all four of my tires, because thats what the decal says on the back of the seat. 13 psi seems alittle low in the front, but thats what it says to put in it so thats what it'll get.

Travis R

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update #8  
Traivs R,

I'm looking at Exmark mowers and wondered how your second season went.

Thanks,

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update #9  
I have a 2009 Exmark Quest 52" cut ZTR mower and love it. I have 34 hours on it and have had to sharpen the blades once, but about to buy some new ones. It has performed flawlessly and I mow 3 acres with it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

/ **EXMARK QUEST ZTR: 1 Year Owner Update #10  
I have a 2009 Exmark Quest 52" cut ZTR mower and love it. I have 34 hours on it and have had to sharpen the blades once, but about to buy some new ones. It has performed flawlessly and I mow 3 acres with it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Welcome to TBN!

I currently have a Snapper 44" ZTR and seem to have beaten it up after 4 mowing season. Doesn't have that many hours on it (240). I'm looking for something that can take the pounding of my not always smooth yard. I have a large number of trees and the 44" cut has worked well. I'm assuming the 52" will work equally well.