Carlisle discontnuing tires...

/ Carlisle discontnuing tires... #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
Received this yesterday and thought I'd pass it on. I don't know anything more...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Kent,

Carl King here, rustybore from RUSTYBORE'S TIRE STORE. I wanted to take a few minutes to alert you (and by extension) your fellow club members, that CARLISLE TIRE has gone on a rampage of discontinuing tires. This includes many entire sizes, and many lines.

Already there are many items I can no longer order - and things seem to be moving rather quickly. Its a big country though and discontinued items don't all disappear at once, but I thought a quick heads up would be in order.

Much of these things will not affect Simplicity owners, but some may. For example the STUD style tire on the older RER machines is now history (or will be shortly).

The ENTIRE SUPER LUG line will eventually be gone. Including the popular 23x10.50-12's and the 6-12's for folks who are restoring walk behinds and older models of not only Simplicity, but JD, Cub, Bolens, and others as well.

Carlisle will no longer produce a 4.80-8 ag lug tire in either the Super Lug or the Power Trac. This will affect folks with GRAVELY tractors, and all kinds of walk behind tillers and snow throwers.

Many ATV tires are going, but this is probably no matter to most of your members.

Anyway, please let your members know about this. You can feel free to contact me personally with any specific questions, or you can direct your members to me at this email address or via phone at 800-427-5558.

All the best,
Carl King

/ Carlisle discontnuing tires... #2  
Sad news indeed! But I can understand it, it costs money to carry inventory especially if sales are down as I imagine thay are.

/ Carlisle discontnuing tires...
I asked Carl for more info on the ATVs (since I own one) and because some people use ATV tires on their L&G equipment. Here's his reply:
----------------------------------------------------------------
In the ATV area, some well known tires will go.

BADLANDS
TRAIL WOLF
4-MAX
TurfTamer
ATC
AT489 (only some of the 489s)

There are misc TURF BUSTER, TRAIL PRO, TRACKS MAX, some of the HD FIELD TRAX sizes will be going bye bye as well.

Additionally, many of the SMOOTH and RIB tires used on the front of mower decks, and for some specialized golf course mahines will be going. Some of the R4 designs as used on Skid Loders, and 4wd sub compact tractors are going.

All in all, I think there are perhaps 400+ items being dicontinued.

Some of this makes sense to me, as there was A LOT of duplication of sizes (do we really need 12 different turf tires in a 16x6.50-8?). And with ATV tires, the shift lately is to larger diameter wheels, so the venerable 20x11-8 size is not selling like it was a decade ago, while the 27x12-12 is gaining in popularity.

Also many of the tires being eliminated are 2 ply tires. These are mostly used as OE and few folks buy them in the aftermarket, prefering 4 plys.

Still, there will be problems for some folks, especially those restoring older machines. This could be a give to the Chinese manufactures, who in the past, have shown a willingness to produce less than A moving tires.

This is sort of devistating to me, anyone can sell and stock the fast moving tires, but the somewhat oddball stuff has beem a specialty of mine for years. This must be akin to what Pontiac Dealers are feeling like these days...

All the best,
Carl King
800-427-5558