Electric Clutch

/ Electric Clutch #1  

Temp97

Bronze Member
How would you test an electric clutch to see if it's burned out or not? I' m getting an oHM meter and plan on connecting one lead to the postive terminal and the other lead to the negative. This should test conductivity correct???? Also, what level would I set the meter to..

Thanks

/ Electric Clutch #2  
I would disconnect the clutch and set the ohm meter to the lowest setting. If the needle doesn't move when touching the probes to the connectors on the clutch it would indicate an open circuit. If it checks out I would check that the air gap of the unit is not too wide. I had one that worked intermittently. I turned the adjustment screws in a turn and it has worked ever since.

/ Electric Clutch
I finally got around to testing it out and the needle moved and registered it as "good". Do I want an "Open Circuit" ? I went to pull the clutch off and there was no bolt holding it on!!!! It must have rattled itself out. I just touched it and it fell off. How that thing didn't fly off is beyond me. By not having that bolt in there cause it to not engage due to no grounding???

/ Electric Clutch #4  
If your clutch has two wires feeding it then an external ground is not requried. The missing bolt was holding the clutch in alignment.

You don't want an open circuit when you test the clutch. When current passes through a coil of wire it acts as a magnet. That magnatizim attracts the steel plate driven by the engine to transfer power to your mower deck.

The second test after you verify continutity is the current draw, measured in amps. You'll need the manufacture's acceptable amp draw range to confirm your clutch is good. Higher that spec current draw indicates shorted windings which in turn lessens the pull in and holding ability of the clutch.

Good luck and let us know what you find.