The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #1  

DaddyRabbit

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L-4610 HST
The Big Red Machine rolled up in the yard yesterday. Now the hard part is going to be finding the time to use this. I was getting a feel for it yesterday on my Pond dams and the front end came up too much for me so I had to find more suitable ground to play on :eek::eek: I hope to have some action pics very soon for you guys.
DSC09194.jpg

DSC09190.jpg

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #2  
wow......i wants.....

my is3000 has REALLY grown on me.........

i bought mine used and it had ag tread tires on the back......the first thing i was going to do was change them- mainly cause they look bad........a buddy of mine had just bought a new kubota ztr and talked me out of it.......said he wished he had ags.......now, that i've had a good bit of seat time and mowing some hills and some very wet spots, i wouldn't be without them......

that diesel model is off the charts.......i want one......

be sure to keep us posted and give us some action shots....

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #3  
Looks like the ultimate mower with the diesel and shocks! If it doesn't suit you send it up to me! Keep the pics coming. Brian

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #4  
Nice mower! I've got the IS4500z with the Cat Diesel and I love it. The suspension really makes a difference in operator comfort.

Mine doesn't have a rear bumper like yours, but the way these things are built, I think you'd have to run into something pretty hard to bend it. I understand the bumper is needed for attaching a tow-hitch (don't see one on yours though). Have fun with the new machine!

Attachments

• 2008_07_24_0011.JPG
    2008_07_24_0011.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 517
   / The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #5  
Sharp looking machine!

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday
Thanks for the compliments guys. This thing actually makes cutting grass fun again. IjH2, I like where your heads at ;) After cutting my grass w/a finish cut mower behind my tractor for 10+ yrs this will just about do.

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #7  
Congratulations DaddyRabbit. That is one impressive machine. :D

The suspension and tall seat on my 4500IS make it feel a bit unnerving on the hills/berms around my pond also. Sidehills of 20 degrees are still concerning. During my test ride of the 3100 I parked it on a side hill, got off and tried to push it over. It was solidly planted so I suspect that some of the tippy sensation is the suspension and high seating height and the machine has actually got a pretty low COG.

Regardless, I've started to just mow >20 degree hills straight up or down; sounds like you're doing the same. If the front end comes up the engine would contact the ground in ~8" leaving you in a precarious "wheelie" but avoiding a roll over. I also buckle in and consciously think to "keep my arms in" if it were to tip, that's what the ROP bar is for.

Did the front deck actually start to lift up on you? I lean forward going up hills (some body english) but probably has little effect on a 1/2 ton machine.

Enjoy your new ride, with beautiful land, lake and new 5100IS you're all set!

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #8  
I lean forward going up hills (some body english) but probably has little effect on a 1/2 ton machine.

Check your specs, the 4500 is nearly a 1 ton machine (1945/1985# depending on deck width). The 'body english' probably has negligible impact, but I know I 'feel' more comfortable leaning uphill.

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday
Nomad, I couldn't really tell if the deck came up or not and had a looked I would have been able to see but I was busy trying to grab the pond dam on the other side :eek: I agree w/what you said about the engine catching me but I think I would rather tackle the mowing sideways from here on out, that way if the unthinkable happens and it begins to tip sideways I can run it back down the hill. I will be doing everything in my power to keep that from happening though.

Did the front deck actually start to lift up on you? I lean forward going up hills (some body english) but probably has little effect on a 1/2 ton machine.

Enjoy your new ride, with beautiful land, lake and new 5100IS you're all set!

/ The Ferris 5100Z arrived at site yesterday #10  
i'd bet that thing will run forever on the two side tanks of fuel.....

my kawasaki 25hp seems to sip the fuel i'm sure the diesel is even better.....