Can your 50-year old equipment do this?

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this? #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
Well, it's actually only 48, but close enough...

A club member's 1961 model Simplicity and the work it just did -- I thought it was worth "showing off" a little. BTW, that's a 42" mower deck being driven by a whopping 7.25 HP engine.

stripes02.JPG

stripes01.JPG

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this? #2  
Ooooooooo, pretty!

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this? #3  
My 1967 Allis Chalmers (10hp) did the same thing, but after I dumped way to much into the set-up to geep it running, I found out it was the one model year that was built in some junk factory in Arkansas and parts were no longer available for the self destructing rear end. I sold it to get my first B7500. Then a B7510. And now, a BX2660. I don't miss the A-C. The BX is 100x the tractor, and does a better job in 1/4 of the time. A 42" deck w/ 10hp was way too small for almost 2 acres.

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this?
A 42" deck w/ 10hp was way too small for almost 2 acres.
Sounds like you tried taking a pocketknife to a gun fight... :D:eek:

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this? #5  
I just mowed an acre of lawn yesterday with a 15 yr old Craftsman 18hp/42 deck. Just didn't feel like taking the FEL and BH off the BX. Plus, we've had rain 35 out of the last 42 days around here. 5 inches so far in June. Ground was a little soft . I mulched with the Craftsman. Took a bit longer than the BX, but no damage to the lawn.

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this? #6  
My 1960 Massey Ferguson 35 with her rotary cutter managed the grass on my few acres until the beginning of this month when she retired to a smaller place. I believe there are many 50 year old machines still doing an excellent job.

Attachments

• PIC_0009.JPG
    PIC_0009.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 190
   / Can your 50-year old equipment do this? #7  
Shaweet! How did you get it to stripe like that? Very nice indeed.

Well, it's actually only 48, but close enough...

A club member's 1961 model Simplicity and the work it just did -- I thought it was worth "showing off" a little. BTW, that's a 42" mower deck being driven by a whopping 7.25 HP engine.

stripes02.JPG

stripes01.JPG

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this? #8  
Very nice!

Does it have a stripping kit on it ?

/ Can your 50-year old equipment do this?
They did and do come stock with the striping kit...

Simplicity mowing decks on all but their cheapest machines have always had full-width rollers on the back. The deck is only attached to the tractor up in front of the deck, and the rear of the deck rolls on those full-width rollers. They patented that deck design in 1960 or so, and until the patent ran out, had the only one in the business. Here's an ad for a '61 model, advertising the move from a 36" to a 42" deck:

700_1961.jpg