Best Zero Turn for my property

/ Best Zero Turn for my property #1  

pequeajim

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
I am looking for a Zero Turn to mow 5 acres of grass on a hilly property. I understand that some ZT mowers are better on hills than others because of a lower CG. I am curious to hear your recommendations?

Thanks
JiM!

/ Best Zero Turn for my property #2  
Kubota's have proven superior on hills in our area do to there weight. They offer hydraulic lift as well as a wet clutch pto system that is unique to these units and things you normally only see in tractors.

/ Best Zero Turn for my property #3  
Stability is no problem. I would look at a mower that has the lowest number of maintenance points such as grease points. If your property is really hilly get high traction tires instead of turf. Out land is also hilly and the mower has hard time going uphill without slipping even with high traction tires.

/ Best Zero Turn for my property #4  
Kubota's have proven superior on hills in our area do to there weight. They offer hydraulic lift as well as a wet clutch pto system that is unique to these units and things you normally only see in tractors.
Ditto !! on what Art said.My diesel Kubota ZD326 pro(60 inch deck) holds very well on hills.coobie

/ Best Zero Turn for my property
Ditto !! on what Art said.My diesel Kubota ZD326 pro(60 inch deck) holds very well on hills.coobie

What are we talking about for cost with this mower?

/ Best Zero Turn for my property #7  
I bought a Bad Boy mower with a 60" deck I belive it had a 26HP motor on it(it was sold at Tractor Supply) and the mower did a great job on the flat but if you tried to mow across a slope the front end would pull down hill. It did fine if you mowed up and backed back down. If you tried to mow down hill you were going for a ride just like on a sled. I had a deal with the guy at TSC to try it out for a week and if I wasnt satisfied I could take it back for a full refund and that is what I did. I noticed that the ZTMs that seem to do well have the rear wheels that set are wide apart and keep in mind that my experience was with this one Bad Boy mower(its rear tires were not set very wide apart). This series of Bad Boy mower was like a cross between a residential and professional mower it had the HYdrogear 2 integral pump motor drive units instead od the seperate hydraulic pump with wheel motors found on professional units but had a bullet proof deck and frame(probably would have been agreat mower for flat areas). I ended up getting a BX 1500 mower with a 54" MMM and that fills the bill for me.

/ Best Zero Turn for my property
I'm getting ready to test mow with a Hustler, and then an Exmark to see how they handle on my hills. I'm ready to buy, just need to figure out which one.

/ Best Zero Turn for my property #9  
Check out Ferris. The suspension they use will make for a smooth ride and help keep the wheels on the ground when traversing hills and dips.

Chris

/ Best Zero Turn for my property #10  
Buying a zero turn is like buying a tractor. First, set your budget on what you want to spend. Then the most important thing is going to be dealer support. When I started looking at them, I read all the posts that I could find here and over at Lawnsite. com Of the dozen or so top brands out there, only a few have what I wanted in dealer support. Some were sold at Ace Hardware, others from a Storage Unit lot and at the box stores. I wanted a dealer that could help me out with a problem and either have parts in his store, or able to get me the right part when I needed it. I wanted that dealer to be in a reasonable distance from me. While there might be better mowers out there then what I bought, I couldn't find one that fit my requirements better then Scag.

I can't possibly say that Scag is the best, but it is one of the top brands out there. I spent $8,000 for a 60 inch Wildcat that has a water cooled 26hp Kawasaki engine. It also has an oil cooler and is built like a tank. I have yet to find a hill that I can't go up, but my land isn't very steep. I do mow at angles that I would never mow with my tractor and finish mower. It just sticks to the ground and does an amazing job. I recently took off my blades to sharpen them for the first time, which was extremly fast and easy. Scag recomends greasing it every 100 hours. I have 20 on mine so far, so it's not much of a chore to keep it greased. I have solid front tires wich eliminates flats, but have had one flat on the rear tires.

I have two hydraulic pumps and drive motors for each rear tire. This is how commercial mowers do it. If you are looking at spending less, then some of the residential or estate level of mowers have one pump that runs both tires. Of the box store mowers that I looked at, the metal was very thin and a few were leaking fluids just sitting there. Nobody seemed to know anything about them, and I lost interest pretty quickly. I think that the more commercial the mower, the longer it will last and the happier you will be.

Good luck,
Eddie