Rebuilding Kohler

/ Rebuilding Kohler #1  

qwerty15

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Jacobsen Chief 1000
Im about to rebuild a Kohler K301 12HP which is on my garden tractor. Are there any special tools i need or any advice you have that would make this project go along easier?

/ Rebuilding Kohler #2  
There a some special tools involved such as a micrometer or cgood caliper, ring compresser, and valve spring compresser to name a few.
The cylinder will probably need to to bored to oversize and my suggestion would be to punch it out so a standard 14 hp piston will work. Costs less than a 12 hp oversize and will give the engine a little more power.
Rebuilding these single cylinder engines is fairly straight forward but using Kohler parts will run in the neighbor hood of $350 to $500 depending on whether the rod needs to be replace.
Using aftermarket parts it can be done for closer to $200 to $300 for parts.
Then another $35 to $75 for the block machine work.
Still cheaper than a new one. Make sure you get a good service manual for the specs and torques.

Bill

/ Rebuilding Kohler
I just bought a service manual and a rebuild kit for the engine with rings valves piston gaskets and oil seals. I also got a carb rebuild kit for it.

/ Rebuilding Kohler #4  
If you don't mind, how much was the repair kit? I have a 12 horse Kohler with close to 1000 hours on it. I know it won't last forever, so I'm real interested in your project... Thanks in advance

Corm

/ Rebuilding Kohler #5  
I had to redo my dad's 12 hp for his Case 222. Ended up getting a short block right from Kohler. It was cheaper than trying to rebuild the old one. Case had the cranks made just for them on these tractors, so I had no choice, as I needed to rebuild everything. If I ordered the parts seperate and did the machine work it would have been more money than the short block! (short block was $500)

/ Rebuilding Kohler
The rebuild kit was 108.45 from www.jackssmallengines.com First i went to a friend who owns a lawnmower shop and he said it would be cheaper to order it on the internet. He said he would have to order every part separately. So i order it last night with a service manual, flywheel puller and carb rebuild kit. Total was 142.xx shipping included. My old engine was starting to burn oil and it was getting tired so decided it was time to rebuild since a new K301 is over 700$.

/ Rebuilding Kohler #8  
My 14 hp on my 444 is getting there also. Still runs good, but use about a pt of oil every 2 mowings.[Granted, it takes about 4 hrs to mow the lawn, so thats about 8 hrs] Wan't to get it before it gets REAL bad.

/ Rebuilding Kohler
Whats the best was to clean the oil, dirt, rust, and paint off of the engine before i tear it down?

/ Rebuilding Kohler #10  
Pressure washer.
If you don't have one take it to the local wand type car wash.
Spray off the heavy stuff first then soak it with a good quality engine degreaser.
Bill