16hp B&S intek, ohv

/ 16hp B&S intek, ohv #1  

mechanic1

My brother in law has a Areins 1640 ZOOM zero turn mower that has a valve problem. It has low power and hard cranking so I checked the valves and the intake is barely opening, maybe 1/8 in. at the best. Not nearly as much as the exhaust by far. The adjustment seems about right just not enough lift and duration as It should have. I and at a loss as to what might cause this other than a bad cam or bad hydraulic lifter if these engines have those. I did pull the pushrod to check for being bent but it looks straight to me. The engine runs and crank but low power and he says uses more gas than it did maybe, also runs hotter. Are these engines bad to eat up camshafts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Roy

/ 16hp B&S intek, ohv #2  
My brother in law has a Areins 1640 ZOOM zero turn mower that has a valve problem. It has low power and hard cranking so I checked the valves and the intake is barely opening, maybe 1/8 in. at the best. Not nearly as much as the exhaust by far. The adjustment seems about right just not enough lift and duration as It should have. I and at a loss as to what might cause this other than a bad cam or bad hydraulic lifter if these engines have those. I did pull the pushrod to check for being bent but it looks straight to me. The engine runs and crank but low power and he says uses more gas than it did maybe, also runs hotter. Are these engines bad to eat up camshafts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Roy

In my case it always seems to be the obvious thing that I somehow missed. Did you check the compression? That would give you low power and use more gas. Have you looked at the cam shaft? If one lobe of the cam is shaped differently than the other that would explain why only the intake valve is acting up.

/ 16hp B&S intek, ohv
No I haven't looked at it yet or even tore it apart. I have found it is usually easier and a lot cheaper to ask first.LOL Age and the school of hard knocks.LOL I believe the cam is bad also.

/ 16hp B&S intek, ohv #4  
I must need more age and hard knocks. I usually just start tearing something apart and hope the the problem becomes obvious.

You might also watch the valve push rods as someone turns the crank. If one is moving more than the other that's another sign it's your cam.