60" Woods finish mower question

/ 60" Woods finish mower question #11  
I clicked the link, but couldn't find the manual for the RM59. I think this is the mower I have, it has been repainted. I am trying to find the belt part number so I can hunt another one down, and I need another tail wheel. Thanks

when ya click the link. it took me a couple minutes to see it, "finishing mowers"
top row, second from left side.

best suggestion is to take the belt off, and take to a local tractor part store. so they can measure things. if they have to order a belt, make sure you take old belt with you.

if you have ability. go ahead and take belt off, but also just load up the finishing mower and take with you. granted "flingers" near me. those folks know there stuff. but if it has been repainted. hopefully you will get a old timer that been there for years that is also a parts guy. and be able to look things over to find a belt for ya.

there are cheap belts and then normally more expensive belts. normally the more expensive belts can withstand a higher running temperature, and do not stretch at the higher temps and in that last much longer.

there should be a belt tension-er some place on the mower deck, see if it is in operating order as well. and if it will add or remove any amount to over all belt length, when belt tension-er is fully positioned one way or the other way.

/ 60" Woods finish mower question #12  
I went there and they didn't have them, but I requested one, and they emailed me one within the hour. When you request one, you need to to which RM59 you have. I have all three, but I don't know if I can post them here. The woods belt part number is 31700
I do have a question. I have a RM59-1, but I get mixed answers on what length belt I need, can anyone confirm what length belt they actually have put on their mower? I am most likely going to NAPA. Thanks.

/ 60" Woods finish mower question #13  
The rear of the mower should be 1/2 to 1" higher than the front to avoid cutting the grass twice.
If it is level or the rear is lower than the front a lot more power will be needed.
Also these blades rotate (CW) opposite direction than most if not all other mowers so it is possible you may have blades with the cutting edge on the wrong side. In addition the screws that attach the blade is left hand thread meaning that you turn it clockwise to remove and CCW to attach.

/ 60" Woods finish mower question #14  
Time to remove blades from Woods L59 belly mower and sharpen. Had to use large ratchet with cheater bar to remove blades. Upon reinstalling blades, manual calls for 170 ft.lbs. Is that an error??? My torque wrench only goes to 150, and I could not tighten the bolts to that value (150). I was afraid to strip the bolts or spindle threads if going too far. I was working under the mower while still attached to tractor. What a real pain in trying to block the blades with wood while loosening/tightening.