Pump fix Snapper/Simplicity/MF zero turn

/ Pump fix Snapper/Simplicity/MF zero turn #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I have a 2004 Snapper ZTR branded mower. Yesterday, the RH pump busted, I'm hoping a seal. Lost power to that side, but limped to the garage where a quart or so of fluid was deposited on the floor. I couldn't see any broken leaking connections and the fluid was running from the drive pulley. Did a part look up via Google and the cheapest replacement is $885!
Dealer is 50 miles away and I'm thinking I'll remove the pump myself and take it to a hydraulic repair shop. Anyway experience a similar failure or have suggestions for a different course of action?

Thanks

/ Pump fix Snapper/Simplicity/MF zero turn
Update. Took a couple of hours to get the pump removed, mainly because of the pulley. I didn't see the two set screws and my puller had bent the pulley before I knew what was happening. Removed the set screws and it still took a great deal of effort/force to finally get the pulley to "pop" free.

Took the pump to the repair shop. Getting a new bearing and a seal kit for $315. Better than almost $900 for a new pump. Also had to order a new pulley for $60 (including shipping).

I hope to get some idea of what caused the failure of the pump. I know what caused the problem with the puller. :( I'll report back anything I learn.

/ Pump fix Snapper/Simplicity/MF zero turn #3  
Barry
I am certainly interested in this as My Father-in-Law has one of these mowers with the 20 h p Vanguard on it, and it is also a 2004 model. I just had to go through the agony of replacing the oil drain hose on the thing. Needless to say it was a bear to deal with because of being apparently seized in the sump housing and the engineering for clearance isn't the best.

I hope all goes well in Your repair.

Update. Finally got the pump back Friday. Spent the weekend trying to get the mower working again. Thought I had an air lock, but I've tired every bleeding technique I know. Left side works great. Jacked up, the tire will spin forward and backward, but can stop with every little force.

I've pulled the pump and will take it back for testing. Either I didn't get it bled or it is bad or the drive motor went too. Bummer.

/ Pump fix Snapper/Simplicity/MF zero turn #5  
It sure makes one think something is wrong with the wheel motor, seems like I looked the part number up for one and I believe it listed for over $500.00 .

It sure makes one think something is wrong with the wheel motor, seems like I looked the part number up for one and I believe it listed for over $500.00 .

Just a quick update. I took the motor and pump back to the hydraulic shop. That took a couple of weeks. They believe it is the wheel motor too. You are correct on the price. Sure would like to find a junked mower that I could pull a motor from.

I've got the mower back together and will install a new pump belt this weekend. May just park it in the barn and spend the winter looking for a wheel motor.

/ Pump fix Snapper/Simplicity/MF zero turn #7  
I was talking to a repair tech and he tells me all or most of these pumps and wheel motors are made by Hydro Gear. It might be well worth taking a look into.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/

Last edited:
I was talking to a repair tech and he tells me all or most of these pumps and wheel motors are made by Hydro Gear. It might be well worth taking a look into.

Hydro-Gear ? Welcome

Thanks. I'll look for a label (although I don't remember seeing one. I called a couple of local dealers, asking if they ever parted-out these mowers. In both cases, it was a no. Someone must be, I just need to find them.

Or someone to work on the motor. The hydraulic place didn't seem interested.

/ Pump fix Snapper/Simplicity/MF zero turn #10  
I would think finding one being pieced out will be virtually impossible .

The wheel motors may or may not have stickers, but there has to be some kind of identifying marks or numbers somewhere.

Good Luck and please keep us posted as I kind of have a vested interest!