Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

Default Stihl FS-81

I have a chance to buy a FS-81 trimmer. Can anyone tell me how old this unit is, and what size motor it has? What is it comparable to; a modern FS 110 or 130, 250, etc.
    Thanks,
    Will

Default Re: Stihl FS-81

Will, I just went to stihlusa.com and using their search function for the "FS 81", it found one document, which in turn led me to manuals, and I downloaded the 46 page manual for the FS 81, 86, 106. Page 43 shows it to be 22.5 cm, (1.37 cu. in.) engine, 32mm bore, 28mm stroke. That would appear to be a smaller engine than most of the current models, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good machine.
    Bird

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

Default Re: Stihl FS-81

Bird,
    Thanks. I saw this trimmer on Craig's list for $150, and it appeared in good shape. It is so confusing to try and figure out Stihl trimmer numbers-my father had a FS-76 that was a real beast of a machine (I'd like one like it for some new chores I have), but this 81 is actually smaller than the FS-85 I currently own.
    Thanks. You saved me a call or a trip.
    Will